Chapter 13: The Hunt Is On!

The nine of us. Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, the wolves and I, had been traveling for a while and had made it to the open countryside. Frost was getting bored since she kept whining and begging for attention. I decided to keep her busy for a bit. Slipping off Shadowpaw while he was still moving, I walked up beside Rusty. Scratching her under the chin a little, I turn to Legolas.

"Pass the little one down here." I say gesturing to Frost, who was currently busy attacking the edge of her basket. Legolas agrees, clearly exhausted from the wolf pup's persistence. He passes her down to me and I place her on the ground. "We're going to play a game little one." Frost yaps happily. "Your it." I say and poke her little, wet, black nose and run off. She sneezes and then runs after me. I make sure we stay close to the others. After a little while, I lose sight of her, then she springs out from under Rusty and licks my fingers. Running off instantly afterward. I hear Legolas's sweet laugh pierce my ears as I run after Frost. Catching her I fly back to the others. "This is for laughing," I say to Legolas and dump Frost onto him. She happily starts licking his face. "Also, you're it." I say poking his nose and flying off.

"Hey not fair, I can't fly!" He shouts after me.

"Not my problem twinkle toes!" I yell laughing. Legolas just watches as I fly around their heads, occasionally dipping down to pet Frost or ruffle Aragorn's or his hair. Legolas just cheerily laughs at my playfulness. He used to hate me touching his hair, now he doesn't seem to mind all that much. He still fixes it every time I touch it though. Gimli's hearty chuckles start to ring around the area.

"She sure has ya hooked, don't she laddie?" He says to Legolas, still laughing at the way Legolas stares after me.

"She sure does." He whispers to himself. Nobody else hears it, except for Frost, who is still sitting in his arms and licking his face. I float back down to sit on Shadowpaw after a while. It was nice stretching my wings for once. We had been on the road for a few hours now and we were all getting tired.

"I suggest that we stop for the night. They aren't that far ahead." I say hopping off Shadowpaw once more and using some ranger techniques to gauge how far off the Orcs are. The others agreed with me and so we set up camp. Legolas puts his sleeping pack right next to mine as I begin at dinner. The wolves had caught a deer during our travel through the forest, and so Aragorn had cleaned it up for me so that we could pack it away easier. I start on a stew for us all. I dished out a small vegetarian-friendly version for Legolas because he said that he had eaten a small amount of Lembas bread and had no need for a full dinner. After I had given him his bowl, I put the meat in for the rest of us. By the time it was ready, Legolas was already finished. So, he sat patiently while Gimli, Aragorn, and I ate our dinner. "Leggy? Could you feed the wolves the offcuts??" I ask politely as I finish up my stew. Legolas looks at me confused.

"Leggy? Is that what you're calling me now?" He lightly chuckles and then goes off to complete my request. I knew that he didn't like touching it because of his small murmurs of disgust. But he liked the wolves and got along well with them. I hear him make a couple of "Uck" noises while giving the fatty meat to the wolves but other than that he was fine. I let Legolas use some of my water to wash off his hands when he was done.

"I suppose we should settle down for sleep?" I say looking at the tiredness in my companion's eyes. They all nod their heads in agreement and snuggle down into their blankets.