Chapter 28 - Miss You

"This guy has been robbing every supermarket across Musutafu. If we look at the places he's hit in order...then the next one should be here. Red Riot, Ground Zero, I'm putting you two on this one."

Katsuki's eyes snapped up from where he stared absentmindedly at the map spread across the table, meeting Best Jeanist's gaze with a murderous glare.

"You're putting me on a fucking stake-out?" He spat.

Best Jeanist raised his eyebrows condescendingly. "After your outburst on your last assignment, I think it's best for you to cool off with something more simple." He said calmly.

"It wasn't a fucking outburst!" Katsuki gripped the arms of his chair, knuckles turning white. "I was doing my damn job!"

"You used unnecessary force to take down an opponent." The senior hero countered. "You're lucky your license wasn't suspended."

Katsuki rose to his feet, the other heroes sitting next to him subtly putting distance between themselves and his ferocity.

"If you even try to-" He was cut off by a gentle hand coming to rest on his shoulder.

"Hey." Kirishima soothed. "Lets just do the stakeout, and you'll be back on the real field once we're done." He gave Best Jeanist a pleading look. "Right?"

The fibre hero nodded. "Correct."

Kirishima tugged gently on Katsuki's bicep, making the ash blonde shove his chair away from the table and stalk out of the office after shooting Best Jeanist one last glare. Kirishima gave the man an apologetic look before walking swiftly after his boyfriend.

^^^

"This is bullshit." Katsuki rested his head against the back of his car seat, glaring up at the fabric-lined roof.

"It has to be done." Kirishima sighed, his eyes trained on the supermarket they were staking out; watching for a suspicious figure.

"Not by us." Katsuki tilted his head to look at the redhead.

Kirishima broke his stare with the shop doors to meet Katsuki's eyes, smiling softly. He put a calming hand on the explosive hero's thigh and squeezed gently, smile widening when Katsuki clasped their hands together.

Kirishima pursed his lips, leg beginning to bounce up and down rapidly. "Can I talk to you about something?" He asked, looking at his feet.

"No." Katsuki said without hesitation, a cocky smile crossing his face.

Kirishima snorted lightly. "Don't be an ass, I'm serious."

The ash blonde rolled his eyes. "Alright then, get on with it."

"I feel like..." Kirishima started. "You've been getting more distant lately." He chewed on his bottom lip. "Or maybe not distant but just...so angry. I know not at me but...I feel like you haven't stopped working in months. You're never not on patrol or on missions, I feel like I never fall asleep or wake up with you. We haven't had a proper day together in I don't even know how long-" He stopped himself from going further, looking to Katsuki to try and gauge a reaction.

His cherry red eyes were shut, hand still holding Kirishima's on his thigh. He puffed out a forceful breath, opening his eyes with raised brows.

"I think if I stop..." He shook his head. "If I stop working, stop pushing myself, even for a minute, then I lose myself."

The look he gave Kirishima was devastating, and they squeezed each other's hands tighter.

"You know how it should have been..." He continued. "She leaves, and I turn into some emotionless zombie because my fucking soulmate is-" He scrubbed a hand over his face. "I have you, and I have work; and all I can do is hope that that's enough to keep me...as me."