Chapter Nineteen| Hospital...

My hand grabbed the doorknob as I heard yelling from inside. I took a deep breath before opening the door to see my mom pressed against the wall. "Get off her!" I yelled as he got off her while I stood in between them. "I want you out of this house right now."

"You think you are so brave don't you?" He asked taking a step towards me having me push my mom away. She stumbled away while reaching for the phone and slipped into the kitchen slowly. I faced him as he grabbed the whiskey bottle that was on the side table.

"Put that down! Don't you think you have had enough?" I questioned while grabbing it out of his hands. He stared at the bottle that was now in my hands before meeting my eyes. "You are a terrible human and just thinking about what you have done to my mom, scares me," I gritted out. He huffed while I heard my mom whispering on the phone.

"Susan! Who are you talking to?" He demanded taking a step towards the kitchen door. I stood in front of him pushing my hands on his chest.

I tried to push back but he was too strong. "Leave her alone! Please!" I cried out as he grabbed me by my hair having me cry out in pain. Soon I was thrown onto the ground while he walked into the kitchen. The door shut in my face while my fists hit the door while a screen escaped my moms lips.

The sound of a bottle being smashed had me press my ear to the door before scrambling for my bag that held my phone. I reached for it dialing 911. Pick up, please pick up. "Hello this 911, what's your emergency?"

"I- Um hello there is an abuser in this house right now and my um mom is in danger," I said while looking at the door to make sure no one was there. "Can you please send someone."

"Yes cops are being sent your way, stay on the line please miss," she said as I took a deep breath. A cry came from my mom having me sob onto the line. "Miss tell me about yourself," the woman directed having me choke on my sob.

My hand became clammy while I tried to figure something to say. "Um I am a senior and play volleyball. Sorry i'm really bad at this," I explained while tapping my shoes on the floor. "Reading books is something I love doing and I write songs and poems to help calm me down." She hummed while I started to pick at my skin.

"Alright miss, the police are two minutes away please stay put and don't walk into the room," she ordered having my chest breathe harder. I looked around the room as it started to appear almost like it was shrinking. I panted before the door to the kitchen opened.

My eyes watched him as I lowered the phone and standing up. He grabbed the whiskey bottle while I shuddered. "Who are you on the phone with?" He asked while my words got caught in my throat.

"I- um," I stuttered while a knock came from the door. He glanced at the door before making his way over to it and placing the bottle down. Words were coming out of the phone but I didn't hear it as I backed to the kitchen. My mom stood against the counters, clutching her side as she groaned in pain. "Mom! Are you okay?" I asked while wiping the tears running down her cheeks.

She glanced at me before cupping my face with her other hand. "I'm the one who is supposed to be wiping the tears. Not you," she whispered having me give a small laugh.

"Well I can do it too. You are my mom, I am supposed to help you as well," I said as she smiled at me. My eyes went down to her side that she was clutching. "The police are here, we are going to be safe," I assured as she let go of a breath. Sounds of yelling had me look over my shoulder to see police rushing in.

"Are you hurt miss?" One asked me while I shook my head 'no' as they slowly yanked me off of her. "Someone is going to stay here with you as we take your mom to the hospital," they spoke having me stare widely.

"I need to be with her! She is my mom, I can't just let her go," I pleaded as the officer stood in front of us having me peer over her shoulder to see my mom being walked out. "Please let me go with her! You don't get it," I sobbed while tears left my eyes.

She sighed before leading me to the kitchen table. "I do get it, but right now we need to ask some questions so we know what charges will be held against him," she said while placing her hand over mine. I looked up to see her give me a small smile, it was sincere and I could see in her eyes that she knew exactly where I was coming from.

~

The hospital chairs weren't comfortable and had me stretching every five minutes. I watched the TV as my mom was asleep. Every once and a while a nurse would walk in to check on her and give me a smile. Every time she would slightly move I hoped she would awake so we could go back home, but my hopes didn't come true.

A knock came from the door having me glance up to see Jane and Blake. "Hey guys," I said inviting them in. They came in holding flowers before giving me a hug. My arms wrapped around them taking in the moment.

"How are you?" Blake asked pulling back and moving hair out of my eye. Her hand was cold but comforting. "Have you ate yet?" I nodded my head as she smiled before sitting down in the chair next me. "Why do hospitals never have comfortable chairs?" She asked having me laugh.

"Thank you!" Jane said continuing to stand but placing the flowers down. "I have always had a problem with them no matter the position I was in," she emphasized having me laugh.

She eyed me as I smirked. "I think Hazel would love those positions." Her eyes widened before grabbing a pillow and throwing it at me having me throw my head back and laugh. "That was good!" I snickered as she glared at me. Blake laughed at the joke as she shifted in her seat.

"Who knew you guys were so loud." We all turned our heads to see my mom sitting up and staring at us. No one knew what to say and instead did an awkward laugh. "That was a good joke though." I smiled before moving towards her.

"How are you feeling?" I asked wrapping my hand in hers. My thumb traced her hand as she breathed. "I am glad you are okay."

"Me too." She smiled as did I. "Obviously I could be better but nothing I can do now." Even after the pain she went through from him, her voice was still calm and sweet. "I'm just glad you are okay."

I laughed while shifting on my feet. "A mother always wants her kid to be safe, huh?" She smiled while cupping my head and bringing it down to plant a kiss on my cheek.

"No matter where I am, I always want you to be safe."

hey guys! there isn't much action of lucas in this one as this is about valerie and her home life. but the next few will be with him! sorry if there are any mistakes