Chapter Ten - Slushie

Y/N POV:

"Hah! I will see you suckers later!" Y/N stuck their tongue out at Theo and Matias. Theo rolled his eyes.

"I literally get out an hour from now."

"I get out at five," Matias grumbled, laying his head on his arms, leaning on the counter. Y/N patted his head.

"Think of it as a privilege. Being here longer shows you're a good worker."

"I don't want to be a good worker!" Matias complained, hat falling lopsided. Theo snickered at his toddler behavior. "Don't you dare laugh Theo. Don't you dare."

"Ooh, is big scary Matias gonna come after me?" Theo held his hands up to his mouth, acting scared.

"You bet your !ss he is," Matias growled, slapping Theo across the head. "Like ya cut g."

"Stop doing that!" Matias quickly dipped into the back, leaving Theo yelling at air. He turned to Y/N, making motions and started to say sentences with no words coming out. He finally said, "Seriously?"

"I mean, that's Matias," Y/N admitted, untying their apron. "Surely you know that by now."

"Yeah, I do," he said quietly, concentrating on flipping Matias off when he peeked around the corner. He turned back to Y/N with a smile. "See you Wednesday?"

"Yep! Bye Theo!" Y/N popped in the back themselves to put the apron up. Matias was waiting behind the door but Y/N turned around and only stared at him. "...bye Matias."

"I was hoping that would work. Bye Y/N." He grinned evilly, stuck the cap on their head, and waltzed off. Y/N looked after him in confusion, a smile on and an eyebrow raised. I guess he doesn't want it? He knows I always leave through the back because of my bike.

"Matias?" He's definitely ignoring me. It's mine now. He is never getting this back. I have clothes that go with this. Y/N unlocked their bike and hopped on. Pedal pedal pedal pedal petal - petal? Pedal pedal pedal... They repeated the word until they got home, flopping on the couch.

Pedal pedal pedal...it's not even a word at this point. It's just sounds. Y/N made some random noises in their head and laughed. I should probably stop thinking 'pedal' before I smash my bike into a wall. What should I do now... Their eyes drifted to their phone, fingers twitching as they started reaching out to pick it up. They withdrew their hand quickly. No! Maybe call him later...but I want him to call first. If he can.

Y/N made popcorn and started watching Matt Smith's Doctor Who series, glancing at their phone every fifteen minutes or so. Soon enough, it was 18:00 (6 PM). They'd checked their phone often enough to know a regular truth: no notifications, no texts, no calls. Nothing.

He's probably just busy. But doing what? He knows so much about me, I barely know anything about him. I don't even know his favorite color, his favorite food, his favorite animal, his favorite movie.

I don't know him at all.

So Y/N resisted calling him...for almost two more hours. At 19:46 (7:46 PM) they dialed his contact. Five seconds went by, ten, fifteen, twenty...thirty seconds later they were met with an answering machine noise.

"It's Tom, I'm out, leave a message."

"Hi Tommy. Call me back when you can." They hung up after the simple message. He'll call back when he wants to. I shouldn't be so pressed about this. Besides, I don't know him, remember? Creepy!

Y/N looked over to their empty popcorn bowl. I guess I should clean that...yay, more dirty dishes. They took it into the kitchen and scrubbed some of the melted butter out of the bottom after dumping the kernels in the trash. The bowl was stuck in the dishwasher on the bottom level. Y/N went to their bedroom to change into more comfortable clothes but stopped in the doorway, seeing Matias's hat. Well, he would be more realistic... Y/N smiled as they thought, Plus he is pretty.