Chapter One

I just gave a pic for reference, you can imagine her any way you like but with green eyes.

Evelyn's POV (she's five years old and she'll talk like a five-year old too, but her POV will sound like that of an adult because I said so)

"Evelyn, get down over here!"

I tore my gaze away from the window and glanced at the door of my room, sighing loudly on hearing that unpleasant voice yell for me early in the morning.

"You better go down before she starts screaming again."

I glanced at the body lying beneath the sheets of the bed closest to the window and grinned brightly, before jumping down from the window sill and rusing out the door. The one who had just spoken to me was Petunia, a young girl of thirteen who had been orphaned in the fall of Shiganshina five years ago, like all the other kids with whom I lived in this house. Of course, unlike her or anyone else, I hadn't had to live in this orphanage right after that horrid attack which I honestly remembered nothing about. Why?

Because I'd been only three months old when it had happened.

But my brother, Eren, and our best friends, Armin and Mikasa, were sure to remember everything about it. My dad had disappeared only hours before the attack happened and had never been seen or heard of since, while my mom had been killed right in front of Eren and Mikasa. And me too, I guess, but again, I obviously didn't remember anything about it.

After my mom's demise, a soldier from the Garrison regiment had been able to get us all aboard an evacuation ferry that brought us to safety in the nearby town of Trost. But life still hadn't been easy for the refugees from Shiganshina, especially because Trost unexpectedly became too crowded and the loss of Shiganshina also resulted in a loss of food supplies, implying that the number of mouths to feed far surpassed the number of crops being grown. Consequently, the government declared a year later that all the adults above a certain age among the refugees of Shiganshina had to return to the broken Wall Maria, the wall that had been breached during the fall, in order to push back the Titans and retrieve the wall. None of these adults had the professional training of a soldier though, making it evident that the government was sending them to be killed without a doubt only to reduce the population and make things easier for themselves.

All those people really were killed without a doubt, and Armin's grandfather had been among those people.

Up until then, we used to live under his care but after he didn't return from war, we were shifted into an orphanage that had specifically been established to house all the children who had lost their guardians in the fall of Shinganshina, or due to the order that had been imposed by the government subsequently. The three of us stayed there together for another year but when I turned two, Eren, Armin and Mikasa became old enough to join boot camp and left to go train to join the army. I didn't really mind though. The orphanage owners, Mr. and Mrs. Warren who had set up this orphanage because they didn't have any children of their own, were nice enough and never let any of us feel too unloved or lonely. Well, Mrs. Warren was quite strict and always yelled a lot, but the gentler Mr. Warren always reassured us that that was just her way of showing her love to us.

"There you are, Evelyn."

I looked up to find the chubby Mrs. Warren standing by one of the large dining table in the kitchen, holding a steel pail in her hand.

Wait...oh no, please no...

"Don't give me that face, you little tweak! It's your turn to go collect water today means it's your turn!"