Chapter Two

The boy with more severe anger issues than a chihuahua (he screams louder too)

Evelyn's POV

An entire two days had passed since the attack on Trost, and people were still unable to stop talking about it which was understandable because, unlike Shiganshina, Trost had not been lost to the Titans. This time around, the combined efforts of the Training Corps and the Garrison regiment had succeeded in killing all the Titans and sealing the breach in Wall Rose. It was the first time in a hundred years that humanity had won a battle against the Titans, and nobody could stop rejoicing about it.

But rumors about a human having the ability to transform into a Titan also drifted amidst everyone, and these rumors were further accentuated because of the Titan smoke rising out of the military headquarters behind the inner gate that many of the citizens had claimed to see with their own two eyes. Well, I hadn't seen anything like that with my own two eyes, but I was too tired to argue with nearly all the adults who were starting to believe this rumor. This rumor claiming that a human could transform into a Titan and then back into a human?

Adults really were strange.

But maybe it was also a sort of blessing, especially for the Scouts. Directly battling against the Titans could become much easier for them if they had a Titan fighter of their own. And the other part of the rumor stated that this human who could transform into a Titan was most likely the one soldier who had had the strength to throw the giant boulder that had sealed the breach in the wall. Now that boulder was definitely something I had seen with my own two eyes, along with everybody else, so we all knew that there was no way any humans could have moved the thing even with a load of machinery.

Oh well. I just wanted to go home already, having become exhausted of the Garrison soldiers just constantly repeating the same speech of how we would be allowed to return to Trost only once it was completely deemed safe, and I was also desperate to get news on Eren, Mikasa and Armin. I hadn't heard anything about them even though two days since the attack had already passed, and it didn't help how many of the other children from my orphanage were frequently throwing me these annoying looks of sympathy. I knew nothing had happened to them. I just did.

"Hey."

I heard Curtin, a fourteen-year old boy from my orphanage, approach me and immediately looked up at him with hopeful eyes. Curtin was basically like the informant of the orphanage. He somehow always knew about the latest things around town, which was why I severely hoped that he knew something about my family. Maybe he did, considering he was holding what looked like a newspaper in his hand, and slowly sat next to me. We had all currently been placed in a building under military protection which was placed exactly opposite to the military headquarters. So my family was literally right over there and I had often considered running off to those headquarters during the last two days. But I'd still decided to wait for a letter from them.

"You've gotta read this paper, Evelyn."

Curtin extended the newspaper to me and I gingerly took it from his grasp.

"I managed to sneak it away from the room where all the adults are chatting about the main news. Everyone's pretty shaken up, and they're also not happy that Eren is in prison."

"Wait...what?"

My eyes widened and I opened up the front page of the paper, only to squint at the tiny text on the paper. I still had difficulty reading even the huge text in my storybooks, so newspaper text was a whole other level to me. I explained the same to Curtin and returned the newspaper to him, at which he sighed and put the thing away.

"I forgot that you're just a five-year old who can't read newspapers yet. And I don't like reading newspapers either, so I'll just tell you. The rumor about the human who can transform into a Titan is true. And that human is your brother."