Chapter Eighteen

Literally the only sane character in this entire story.

Evelyn's POV

"What?"

"Dad, it's ice cream!"

I tugged at his hand more indignantly while flailing my own hand towards the stall where I could see a man selling light brown cones adorned with a swirl of frozen cream on top, looking exactly like it had in my book. For three long years I had only ever been able to imagine the feeling of feasting on a combination of cream conjoined with wafer, but imagination had obviously never been enough for something like that. My desperation about trying ice cream at least once in my life had only amplified with each passing day because I was a huge fan of sweet stuff.

"Oh."

My eyes widened when I heard how Dad's voice still sounded as cold as ever. How could he be having such an acute lack of excitement when there was ice cream right in front of him?!

"It's that sweet in your book which you've always wanted to try, right?"

I nodded vigorously at which Dad patted my head once before beginning to walk me towards the shop. My anticipation grew with every step I took to the point that I didn't even register Dad conversing with the owner of the stall before he held out one beautiful cone of cream in front of me. It was only then that my brain registered that I could actually taste real, not imagined, but real ice cream now, and my eyes widened in wonder.

"Go ahead."

I looked up on hearing Mr. Onyakopon's words when he placed a hand on my shoulder.

"It's all yours to eat."

"Okay."

I muttered softly and slowly took the cone into my own hand, before licking up the top of the swirl of frozen cream.

And all of a sudden, I realized I was in heaven. All the wonderful things my book had told me about ice cream were completely proved true today.

"How is it?"

I heard Mikasa ask me from behind and I immediately turned around to meet the curious gazes of everyone else, beaming brightly.

"It's the best thing I've ever, ever, ever eaten!"

"I'm gonna need five of those then! No, make it ten!"

Sasha shrieked right after I did and raced past me towards the ice cream stall with Jean and Connie close in tow. I couldn't help but giggle at their antics before taking another lick of my ice cream and grinning happily again.

"You look good with that happy little grin on your face."

Dad actually smiled after a long while because of which I decided to grin even more happily for him.

"Of course I look good when I'm eating ice cream! You have to try it too, Dad!"

"Maybe some other time."

"But-"

"Some other time, my little brat."

He chided gently and brushed a few strands of hair away from my eyes. Everyone had dressed up pretty well for this unique trip to far beyond the walls, all decked up in fine suits and skirts, which was why Dad had spared no expense in putting me into a frilly blue dress with a big white ribbon in my hair either. My entire outfit looked rather beautiful, especially with the knee-length white socks and blue bellies that Dad had permitted me to wear only once at a party ten months ago which had been held to celebrate the completion of the Trost railway line, but I honestly didn't find it that comfortable. And if I spilled my ice cream on a formal dress, I knew Dad wasn't gonna ground me for anything less than my whole life.