Chapter 1 - Woodsboro

They say moving is one of the hardest things to do.

That's just the first step. Then it's unpacking, going to a new school, meeting new people and pretending that everything is fine.

That's the hardest part.

Pretending everything is fine.

(Y/n) moved from Scotland to Woodsboro with her mum and two younger siblings.

She had other siblings but they remained back in Scotland.

Their mum decided it was the best thing to do after their father passed. He died from a heart attack in his sleep. Quick and painless.

"Once you're finished with those boxes, could you help me unpack?" Her mother asked, stopping her sister from running into the lamp she put out.

"Yeah, give me a sec," she says, setting the boxes aside and exhaling.

"Those boxes are yours. Your rooms upstairs, the door straight down the hall," her mother smiles.

"Ok, assuming you're wanting me to take them up just now?" She asks, breathing quite heavily from walking in and out of the house.

"May as well," she shrugs.

She lifts the boxes and makes her way upstairs. She stops at the top and sets them down to look around. This house was much bigger than their last.

The windows were much larger and the view. Much better than looking out at overgrown gardens and other people hanging out their washing to dry.

She reached her room and smiled. The room was a decent size and had two windows and a walk in wardrobe.

"Where have you been all my life!" She exhales, falling back on her bed.

*Time skip*

The four sat around the table digging into the pizza they ordered.

"Couldn't be arsed cooking tonight," her mother sighs.

"I'm not complaining," (Y/n) says, stuffing her face with another mouth full of pizza.

"Excited to start school next week?" Her mum asked, scolding her sister to sit in her chair properly.

"I mean I don't have a choice, do I?" She says while grabbing another slice.

"I know this is going to be hard for us all, but I promise it's going to get better. Who knows, this might be what we needed," her mum paused, looking down at her half empty plate.

"It's what he would of wanted," she adds frowning sadly.

"It's what dad would of wanted. You don't need to be afraid of saying his name and I know. I'm gonna try. For you," she smiles, reaching over to squeeze her mums hand gently.

"Thanks babe,"

The two clear the table and finish unpacking the rest of the stuff before getting ready for bed.

(Y/n) laid in her bed until she was sure everyone had fell asleep before getting up and opening the window just enough to light a cigarette from underneath her pillow.

Since the move, all she could think about was a fag.

Her dad smoked. It was partly what caused his death. She swore she would stop after his death, but it seemed that the move was a little to much for her to quit right now. Especially with the thought of starting a new school in just a few days.

Sitting on the edge of her window sill, she felt at peace. She didn't care how long the peace was to last. All that mattered was the feeling she had now.

She struggled to keep the thoughts of her new school out her mind. What will they think of her? Would anyone want to be her friend? What are the rules?

"They're better be a place I can smoke," she says, resting her head on the wood and taking the last draw before flinging the blunt out the window and closing it.

Getting into bed she turned off her light and hoped that sleep would just come to take her.

* The next day *

The next day was easy. It was just a matter of unboxing everything else and decorating.

In fact the next few days consisted with the same thing. The house was coming together nicely.

"(Y/n), go check if we have any mail," her mother calls from the kitchen.

"Alright,"

In the UK things are done much differently from America. For example, letters are usually posted through the door, not left out in a mailbox for you to collect. Although it was a nice change.

Once she reached the mailbox she takes some time to take in the street before opening it up and collecting the letters.

All of them were addressed to her mum except from one written to her. She assumed it was from the school excepting her and placed it to the back.

Once the mail was gathered she closed the box and was about to head inside until a car drove by. Being curious, she stays put and watches it as it drove by. She could of sworn the car slowed down when it did but thought nothing of it and headed back inside.

"Here you go mum," she says, handing her mum the mail and keeping hers in hand.

"Is that one yours?" Her mum asked.

"Yeah. Probs just the school letting me know I'm in. I'll read over it later," she says.

She goes over to the window and opens the curtain a bit.

"Did you see who was in that car that drove past?" She asked, looking back at her mum.

"How could I? I've been inside the whole time," she shrugs.

"Ha ha," she fake laughs.

"It was probably just the neighbours who live up the street," her mum says.

"What in that house that looks like a mansion?" She questions, looking out the window down at the biggest house on their street.

"Yeah,"

"Are you sure?" She asks, taking a closer look.

"Get away from the curtains, I've just put then up," she scolds, swiping her hands off.

"Sorry," she puts her hands up dismissively.

"And to answer your question, yes, I'm sure. I met one of them when I went out shopping the other day. They seem nice enough,"

"Nice enough?"

"Oh, shut up. Lay out the table for dinner and make sure you have your stuff ready for tomorrow. I'm not having you look like shit for your first day at your new school," her mum says.

"Don't worry, I'm prepared," she sighs.

"Good,"

*Time skip*

After eating and helping clear everything up, she took a quick shower and got ready for bed, making sure to have everything packed for school tomorrow, remembering to pack her fags as well before getting into bed.

Now all that's left to do was get through tomorrow in one piece.

It's not everyday someone starts a new school in a different country.