Thirty-two

POV KAIDEN

Chapter name: awkward encounters

I wake up to the sun glaring into my room, leaking through the blinds to make sure I can't see when I open my eyes.

I turn over, putting my pillow over my head in annoyance. My head pounds like I've done something terrible, and this is my punishment.

I hear a light knock at my door, and I hear the hinges creak. "Tivelly just left. And not for school like you guys should be doing." My mother states. I take the pillow off my head and look at her; she leans against the doorframe, messing with her nails.

"Where did she go?" I ask, confused about where she would go.

"The better question is, why was she so quiet last night? Did you say something to that poor girl?" My mother's tone changes, letting me know she isn't playing games.

I glance around the room, my mind flipping back to the party last night. I had left her at the fire with everyone else; I just had to get out of there. Vera was all over me the entire night, but I shot her down several times. Tivellys didn't speak to me after that. She spent the night talking to Chloe and Leo.

Speaking of Chloe... does she even know I screamed at Chloe? I avoided her last night but I don't think Tivelly noticed.

"I mean, maybe I did something," I responded awkwardly. "She's not going to always come back to you, y'know. The more you hurt someone, the more they back away from you." She crosses her arms, disappointment leaking from her face.

"Yeah yeah. So do you know where she went? Did she say anything?" I ask, getting out of bed and throwing a jacket on. "No, she didn't say anything. Well, she did say that she's going to a friend's house."

"No names?" I continue, stepping past her and into the bathroom, wetting my toothbrush and lining the bristles with toothpaste. "No names." She responds. I can tell she's hiding something.

She only has three friends that I know of. Leo, Chloe, and Kate. She said something last night bath Chloe having somewhere to go today, so she must be at Leo or Kate's house.

I stand in front of Leo's door, knocking, my heart racing in fear that Avelina will be here.

There's shuffling in the background before the door opens up, a scruffy guy peeking out to look at me, eyes completely red from drugs. "Kaiiiiden." He smiles, opening the door for me.

"Jax," I say his name in hopes to get his attention and not just the constant blankness lacing his eyes, "is Tivelly here?" I question.

He wobbles, thinking as he puts his finger up to his chin, thinning his lips. "You know, I think she was here."

I step inside, a cloud of smoke hitting my face and instantly surrounding me. "Is she still here?" I glance around the room; cigarettes and blunts along with various drugs litter the living room.

He shakes his head no, glancing around the room until his eyes light up. He stumbles over to the couch, bending down and picking up an opened beer that lays on its side, having most of its liquid soaked into the carpet already. He takes a sip, leaving it empty before he drops it back down, wiping his lips.

"Where did she go?" I ask, cringing at him drinking old beer. "Leo and... Leo and... fuck." He exclaims with a sigh, rubbing his eyes. "Leo and WHO?" I step closer, grabbing him from his shirt collar.

"Is she with Monty? Or Avelina? Is she with anyone that could harm her?"

Jax shrugs, leaning his head back, "Noooooo. She's with Leo and Carson." He smiles as I let go of him.