TEN

WASHINGTON D.C.

"Steve represented the best in all of us. Courageous, righteous, hopeful." Sam said, looking around the small conference room. Elle Stark stood before him standing next to Rhodey.

"And he mastered posing stoically. The world has been forever changed. A few months ago, billions of people reappeared from five years ago, sending the world into a turmoil." He said and Elle breathed in deep and looked down, feeling her daughter's hand in hers. Wren wore a cute formal dress that brought out the blue in her eyes.

"We need heroes. Ones suited for the times we're in." Sam said and Elle looked at him quickly, picked up her daughter and then turned-leaving the room. Her heels clacked against the marble floor as she walked into a separate room that explained Steve's life.

Elle walked passed Bucky's picture-trying not to get emotional about her past lover and she made it to Steve's picture and gave it a good look. She placed her hands across her chest and blinked a couple of times.

"I thought you wanted to hear Sam's speech." Rhodey said looking at the back of Elle's head as she stared up at Steve's picture.

Elle kept her gaze on Steve's perfectly painted portrait and spoke.

" I did- but after a bit I couldn't hear it." She said- her soft Russian-Sokovian accent coming through.

"I am never going to get over this new accent of yours- it's so-" He went to say and Elle spoke softly.

"Different." She said and he nodded and gave out a soft laugh.

"Yeah, extremely." He said and Elle breathed in and looked at him.

"I've got to go and deal with some stuff, an old friend. She was a Black Widow, she's having a hard time adjusting to the New World." She said and he nodded and she turned to leave the room. Once she saw that she was in the clear she teleported out of the room and into her apartment in New York City, with her daughter by her side.

She looked around her apartment and sat Elle in her room, that was heavily guarded with her new found chaos magic just in case anything were to happen and she walked out into the living room and pulled out her phone pulling out the contact she needed to and sent out a text.

An hour later, Wren was already fed and sat playing with her toys on the living room floor. The doorbell let out a loud chime and Elle opened the door, Vera Ivankov standing before her. She let out a soft smile and spoke, as she took in her appearance. Her once short red hair was just down to the small of her back.

"Vera, it's nice to see you again." She said and Vera bit her lip and gave her a curt nod. Elle moved out of the way and invited the young woman into her home.

"A lot has changed since we last saw each other. Wren- my daughter is just playing on the floor, you can have a seat on the couch." She said and Vera raised both of her eyebrows.

"Daughter?" She mumbled out and Elle smiled softly and looked down at the blonde haired child.

"Yeah, she's two." She said and Vera nodded and sat down on the couch slowly, as if it would blow up.

"Why did you send me a text?" Vera asked her Irish-Russian accent coming out.

Elle looked at the picture of all 6 of the Avengers on her TV stand and she spoke.

"Because I promised Nat I'd always look out for you, and Yelena." She said and Vera visibly stiffened.

"I don't need you to look out for me." She said and Elle gave her a nod and spoke.

"That might be true, but, I don't break my promises. Plus, it's been, what 7 years since we last saw each other?" She said and Vera shrugged and Elle spoke.

"Why don't you stay with us for a bit? I have a spare room and-" She said but Vera cut her off.

"I'm okay." She said and then looked at Wren on the floor and then looked at Elle.

"I don't want you to feel like you have to babysit me. I'm all good on my own." She said and Elle scoffed and raised an eyebrow.

"Yelena told me different." She said and Vera rolled her eyes and spoke.

"I haven't spoken to Yelena since after she blipped." She said and Elle flinched softly at that.

"I haven't spoken to most people since Thanos came and wiped out half of the universe. I haven't spoken to most people since Natasha died. It's just how I cope and I'm okay with that." She said and Elle looked down and spoke.

"She died for you. For Yelena, for the world." Elle said and Vera bit her lip and shrugged.

"I'm sure she did." She said and before Elle could say anything else Veronica, Elle's AI spoke.

"A message from Rhodey." She said and moments later, Rhodey's voice popped up.

"Elle, turn on the TV now." He said and Elle furrowed her brows inwards and grabbed the remote that was on the coffee table. She turned on the TV to the news channel and saw what was happening live.

"While we love heroes who put their lives on the line to defend Earth. We also need a hero to defend this country. We need a real person who embodies America's greatest values. We need someone to inspire us again, someone who can be a symbol to us all." The man said and Elle raised her eyebrows confused as to what was going on.

"So, on behalf of the Deportment of Defense and our Commander-in- Chief, it is with great honor that we announce here today, that the United States of America has a new hero. Join me in welcoming your new Captain America!" 

Elle's eyes widened as Vera whispered under her breath.

"Shit."