11. Shaun

11. Shaun

The Ambassadors grouped at the HQ, and it was utter chaos. Things were in total disarray and Miss Karr was nowhere to be seen.

Selena was screaming on top of her voice to get everyone to calm down, but her shrill voice had the opposite effect on the crowd.

They yelled, arguing with each other, blaming each other; they felt useless, and their anger was directed at each other.

"That's it. I'm going for the kill. You might want to cover your years for this one," Selena whispered in his ear, checking her nails.

"What?" Shaun asked, eyes open wide.

"Hey, someone's gotta shut them up, and I know just how to do it. So cover your ears," came her reply accompanied by a sly smile.

He nodded and did as told. There was no telling when it came to Selena. That girl was a walking dynamite.

Selena sauntered over to the head of the room where she gave Shaun a wink before taking a deep breath and, raking her nails across the wall.

The shrill noise made him curl his toes and grit his teeth. He looked around and saw everyone doing the same.

"Listen up, people! Stop fighting, stop complaining and lastly STOP YELLING! You all look pathetic," Selena barked.

The entire room was cloaked in silence as everyone stared with their jaws wide open.

"She is something, isn't she?" Alex's voice came beside him. Shaun whipped around to face his best friend.

"Where were you?" he asked Alex. After they'd reached the HQ, Alex had miraculously disappeared, leaving Shaun curious and a lot pissed--because he was sure he knew where Alex had been to.

To see a certain dark-haired girl.

Alex grinned wide and raised his hands up in a shrug as if to say, "You caught me."

Shaun shook his head and turned back to watch the conference room with a scowl on his face.

"Whoa what's got you in a pissy mood? Did you have a fight with Angie or something?" Alex asked.

Shaun's blood began to boil and he whipped around screaming, "FOR THE LAST TIME, ANGIE AND I AREN'T TOGETHER! I don't care what she's been saying but we're not, okay?"

The entire room turned to look at Shaun, and from the corner of his eyes, he saw Selena shake her head.

"Screw it," he muttered and pushed past Alex. He went outside and took a deep, calming breath.

He didn't know where all the frustration was coming from. It couldn't just be because Alex was spending time with Melina, although that was a major contributing factor. He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed.

He didn't like that the stories were getting destroyed. He didn't like that they hadn't come even close to finding the guy responsible. He didnt like that Angie was spreading around rumors about the two of them and he certainly didn't like being questioned about it.

He didn't like that Alex was spending time with Melina, and he definitely didn't like that she was hiding something.

Oh, that girl was hiding something. He knew it, felt it from his bones.

I like the smell of smoke.

Shaun scoffed as he remembered what Melina had told him earlier that night.

What was she hiding?

He groaned in frustration and kicked a rock on the ground.

The night was warm and humid. Sweat clung to his back making his shirt stick to his skin.