Chapter 6

Legolas POV

Legolas was still scared. The kiss had lightened his heart but seeing how the elves turned to watch him as he passed was un nerving. He would never be able to rule them.

Tauriel must have sensed his fear because she intertwined her finger with his, leading him away behind a stone pillar.

"Legolas calm down. Look at me!"

Legolas forced himself to meet her calm gaze.

"Legolas. Pull yourself together! Do not break in front of them!" Whispered Tauriel.

He took a deep breath, forcing the anxiety down. "Thank you."

She merely smiled and pulled him along with her, back from behind the pillar as an elf the Legolas saw, with a horrible sensation of dread and anticipation, was one of the healers who hade taken Thranduil back to Mirkwood.

"My lord...the healers...wish to see you."

All eyes were on the healer and the prince, Tauriel seemed to have melted against the pillar, away from the view. "Is this about my father? Is he dead?" Legolas asked, leaning close to the other elf and whispering to save ears of other elves who listened in on their talking.

The elf only shook his head and gestured for Legolas to follow him. With fear burning his stomach he went with him.

The king had been brought to his chambers and was cared for there. The curtains were drawn and healers spoke in soft, grim voices. There was a sinister air to the room. Legolas had halted at the doorway, eyes scanning the room, now the only place they saw was the bed on which his father lay.

The healers murmured words to Legolas that he did not catch and left him with his father. The Kings face was still and ashen. Never before had Legolas seen his father or really any elf in that matter, in this state.

"Father. Ada." he whispered, touching Thranduil's hands which were folded across his chest and recoiled at the heat which rose from him. "The wound must be infected, poisoned perhaps?"

The newest yet an old emotion surfaced in Legolas: loss. To him, after losing his mother at such a young age, seeing the kings heart grow cold afterwards and now seeing him in pain, perhaps dying made him realized that should Thranduil die, he would have no family left unless of his own. If he married. He would have lost both parents and perhaps he too would have a heart coated in frost like his fathers had grown to become.

"Don't you dare die on me, Ada."