Chapter 23

Thranduil POV

The ominous words of Elrond echoed in his head.

Headaches or fainting spells might happen.

He knew that this death, hanging like a black cloud over him, was completely unavoidable but deep in him Thranduil wished he had gotten a little more time before these fatal and telltale symptoms had started to show.

Soon that hardest part of all, telling Legolas.

"Elrond, I need advice. I know I am dying, I know I have only weeks, less perhaps. I need to tell him. I cannot, seeing him try and cope with his mother's death was hard enough. Now I must tell him I will die. I know how it is to be orphaned. I know that pain to well."

Elrond meet the distressed gaze. "I know that the pain of losing someone you love. Legolas is young and wilful. He is wild but controlled. So different from you at that youth. Perhaps his hurt will heal faster than yours did."

"He will blame himself."

"I cannot do anything about that."

Elrond left shortly after. He said he needed to speak to some of the guards and adviced Thranduil to take it easy.

Now, sitting behind his table in the office, dark thoughts of death closed in like a wall. He didn't want to die. He was scared of what lay ahead of him once he crossed the threshold of death.

Will it hurt? Will it be fast? I do not want this. I am trapped in the void of my mind, in the darkest places, in the vastest caverns of thought.

Legolas. I have thought of you so many times my son. You will be the most painful thing to leave, yet not in thousands of years after my pass would i want to see you in the halls of Valar. I love you.

Thranduil cursed himself for acting as if he was dying, almost across the threshold. I still have some time.

A knock on the office door. "Yes?"

Tauriel slid open the door. She bowed her head, "my lord, I have sent out another patrol of Elves to just a half mile into the forest."

"And?"

"None returned."

"How long ago?" Thranduil felt worry in his gut. Only half a mile in?

"Four hours, my lord."

"Once I have all my strength back I shall travel with you and several others to investigate. "

"My lord! But..." He cut her off with a raised hand.

"Leave now."

"Yes My lord."

As she was leaving he said one last thing. "I know about you and Legolas."