NEW chapter 18

Legolas felt sure his father would recover. It had been a day since he woke and another half day since Elrond had said he would walk in another day. 

Legolas stood in the hall by his chambers, not going in, just standing and thinking. A flash of fire caught his eye. "Tauriel, what are you doing here?"

She smiled almost distractedly. "The King sent for you. He says he wants to speak to you about something."

"Thank you Mellon-nin."

She nodded and turned in the other direction. Her sent of flowers and sky drifted behind her.

Legolas watched her leave before turning to walk to his father's chambers. 

"Adar," he called when he walked through the door.

"Hello Legolas." His voice was still hoarse but growing stronger.

"How do you fare?"

"I am well. But Elrond tells me you have been worried, share them with me."

Legolas paused. "I was scared you would die. I know you will not now so I am fine."

Thranduil's expression changed. Legolas did not recognize the emotion. Pain, regret, loss. The king saw Legolas watching him and smiled. "I shall not die. Do not worry."

"I was so scared."

"It is fine." A pause in which he studied Legolas's expression. "Tauriel told me the spiders are growing bolder."

"Yes."

"Are you giving orders in what to do?"

Legolas'so gaze dropped to his lap. "I try."

"Try?" His voice was hardly audible.

"I cannot! I am not a king! They look to me and I cannot lead them! Help me! Please!"

"Calm yourself, ion-nin."

Legolas raised his gaze, it was troubled and heavy. "I am sorry."

"It is alright. It is hard to give orders, I still find it hard sometimes. You will not have to rule forever though. I will be at the throne in a day." 

"I cannot make it until them. I try and fail. They cannot look to me!"

Thranduil's powerful, thin hand rested on his shoulder. His eyes met Legolas's. Fire and ice meeting. "They have looked up to you longer than you know. So when they look for a leader, lead them! When they look for comfort, comfort them! Rule then as the king you will one day become!"

"I will fail leading them."

"You are brave, strong and wise. Do not say that! In my absence you will be a better king than I will ever be!"

Legolas pulled away. "You speak as if I will become a king soon. It could be thousands of years or more."

"Or less."

"What?"

"Should something ever happen to me, like this or worse, you will rule for an amount of time. You need to know how to rule them."

"I have years to learn to rule them!" Legolas's head spun. Why did Thranduil act like he would permanently be king? What was it he did not tell him?

"Leave now. I need rest." Thranduil sounded exhausted.

"Yes Adar."

He turned and left the room, looking back once at his father and seeing a twisted emotion on his face...sorrow. 

A/N: OMFG GUYS...500 READS!!!! Thank you all so much! Thank you to the commenters, voters and readers for getting me 500 freaking views! Love you all. Have an amazing day! And if u r reading this at night have an amazing next day! <3