MMR

Sidney and I were sitting at lunch before our game a week and a half after the Detroit game. I was staring at him, trying to figure out what it was about him that seemed different. "You cut your hair," it sounded more accusing than I had intended.

"I did," he said, not looking up from his salad.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. It's nice," I smiled at him.

"It's short," he complained.

"If you don't like it, why'd you cut it?" I asked, pretty sure I knew the answer.

"Anna didn't like it long, and I was sick of arguing about it, so I cut it," he shrugged, as if it wasn't that important, but I knew that he had liked it longer. I had liked it better long, too, but it was his hair and his girlfriend, so I didn't really get a say in the matter.

"Okay," was all I said.

"I don't feel great," Sid said a few minutes later, pushing his salad away from him.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I don't know. I just don't feel one hundred percent."

"Do you want to sit tonight? We can still-"

"No. I don't want to sit," he said quickly.

"Well, Sid, if you aren't feeling great, you shouldn't play."

"I'm fine."

"You just said-" I began.

"I will be fine by game time," he corrected.

I sighed and rolled my eyes, "Hockey players." Sidney chuckled and continued picking at his lunch. At least he seemed to have an appetite, which was good. If he didn't, there'd be a problem. "How long have you not been feeling your best?"

"The past few games. The team doctors ran some tests just to be careful, because there's been some problems across the League, but they said I was okay."

"You just don't feel great?"

"I'll be fine," he reassured me and I let it drop.

At his house, I called my mom. "Hello, Erin. How have you been?"

"I've been great, thanks. And Sidney's alright too, I guess. How are you?"

"We're fine. What do you mean by 'Sidney's alright too, I guess'?"

"He told me earlier that he wasn't feeling his best, but that he still wanted to play. His appetite is fine so I'm not too worried," I explained.

"Appetite isn't going to be a tell-tale sign for everything, Erin."

"Yeah, I know, but with hockey players if they aren't eating then you know for sure that something is wrong," I replied.

"That's true. Just keep an eye on him and let me know how he's doing. Are all of your vaccinations up to date? You got your flu shot, right?"

"Yes, Mom," I said.

"Good. Who are y'all playing tonight?"

"Tampa Bay at home," I replied after double checking my schedule.

"I've heard that they're supposed to be pretty good this year," my mom said as if she were commenting on whether or not it was raining and if she thought it would stop anytime soon.

"Yes, that's what the footage and scouting reports show," I replied; it wasn't trivial to me.

"I'm sure you all will do fine," she said. She sounded really distracted.