Chapter Fifty-Seven

It was an absolutely beautiful night, with silvery moonlight making the heavy blanket of snow glow almost blue. A bonfire crackled merrily on the bank of the lake, which was frozen over and already dwarves skated across the mirror-like surface.

All around, everyone seemed to be having a wonderful time and Arielle smiled as she saw Elen and Brynne deep in conversation near the bonfire. Narnerra and Glóin were building a snowman with Gimli. Kusela and Balin were skating, hand in hand, gliding across the ice as if they were one. Music played softly, thanks to the group of dwarves brave enough to lug their instruments out into the cold.

Tiriana's eyes were wide, glittering as they moved from object to object, and her pearly baby teeth flashed with each smile, and as she gazed down upon the baby, Arielle couldn't help but feel overwhelming relief and gratitude for Narnerra and her skills. If not for her, Tiriana would not be there now, in Arielle's arms.

"There you are." Thorin crunched across the snow toward them, smiling as he drew near. "Is she warm enough, mesmel?"

"She's fine, Thorin." Arielle leaned her head against him as he slid an arm about her shoulder. "It's all so beautiful out here."

"It's been a long time since we've had anything to celebrate," he said softly, maneuvering her in front of him so he could ease his arms about her waist. "And now, we have so very much worth celebrating. You and me, this little one, Erebor's restoration."

"It looks as if Elen and Brynne might be working out their differences as well," she said, sinking back against him. A hint for fresh air, sunshine, and leather touched her nose and she smiled. "And there is no where else I would rather be right now, than right here with you."

His arms tightened about her. "Same, mesmel."

Shouts of laughter rolled off the lake and Thorin gave her another gentle squeeze. "Why don't we move a bit closer to the bonfire? I worry about you both catching a chill."

"We're fine. But I think they—" she nodded toward the lake—"are waiting for you to join them. Did you bring skates?"

"I did."

"Go then. We'll come watch you."

"If you're certain?"

"I am." She turned toward him and leaned to brush his lips with hers. Then, she stepped back and let him head up toward the ice. She smiled as she adjusted Tiriana's fur-trimmed hat. "Shall we go watch 'Adad?"

Tiriana's smile was one of the most beautiful sights Arielle had ever seen and as she clapped her hands, she babbled, "'Adad!" over and over.

"Yes, princess, 'Adad."

Tiriana's laugh rang out like the chimes of silver bells, and she looked up at her mother with wide blue eyes.

Durin eyes.

Her father's eyes.

"I'll take that as a yes," Arielle said, leaning in to rub noses with Tiriana, which just made the little girl shriek with laughter loud enough that those around them chuckled as well. Her laughter was infectious and Arielle was ever so thankful to hear it.

She made her way up to the shore, where others had gathered to watch the game the dwarves played on the ice. It was fast paced and noisy and although she had no idea what was going on, Arielle found herself cheering along with the others. Even Tiriana seemed to get into the spirit, clapping her hands as everyone else cheered.

It was a wonderful night and as she looked around at the dwarves she now considered family, Arielle couldn't but smile, remembering how nervous she was that very first day that she would be discovered. She had no way of knowing then just how everything would work out in the end, that when she was discovered, it wouldn't lead to her being shown the door. Rather, it led to her finding the greatest happiness she'd ever known and as she and Thorin made their way back toward the bonfire, and their daughter cooed sleepily against her neck, Arielle looked up. At that moment, a shooting star streaked across the night sky.

The End