Stories Alligning

Alyssa woke up the next morning to Druig's head still firmly positioned on her lap. Soft snores escaped his mouth, indicating he was still fast asleep, to which she didn't want to disturb him. Surprisingly, she'd slept quite well considering she was sat up.

Moments later, the door to Druigs room opened, revealing Isabella. She stretched her arms up, letting out a large yawn. "I think that was the best night sleep I've ever had, Druig's bed is wo--" She stopped mid sentence as she noticed their close proximity. Her eyes snapped between the pair of them as a confused expression overwhelmed her face.

"What the--"

"Shhhh." Alyssa whispered bringing her index finger to her lips. "Do not wake him."

Isabella stepped closer to them, raising an eyebrow. "Since... When. Don't tell me you've--"

"Oh my god, no--" Alyssa snapped back.

"Do you seriously think she'd get that close to me, Isabella?" An Irish accent spoke groggily from below her. Druig pushed himself up, wiping his eyes. Alyssa turned away from him, her cheeks flushing red as she processed what he'd just said.

Isabella dipped her lips, taking a sharp intake of breath. "Well, thank you so much for the best night sleep of life Druig."

Druig looked up at here, smiling. "Pleasure."

Isabella nodded before disappearing out the hut. The sound of door slamming caused stirring in Druigs room. Alyssa stood, brushed off her clothes and headed for the room.

Coughing noises gradually became louder as she walked in. Cybele was sat up in the bed, her eyes drowsy with multiple beads of sweat dripping down the sides of her head.

Instantly, Alyssa ran over to the bed perching herself on the edge, raising a palm to her mothers forehead. "Mum, you're burning hot. What happened?"

Cybele's head rocked slightly. "I went to sleep and then I—I woke up, and everything hurts."

"DRUIG," Alyssa called. "Bring me a wet towel."

Within seconds Druig appeared in the doorway with exactly what she asked for, he rushed over when he realised why she'd asked for it. "Cybele? What's happened?"

"She woke up like this," Alyssa explained, dabbing her mothers head with the towel. "She says everything hurts."

Druigs eyes widened with concern, he sat on the edge of the bed behind Alyssa. "Where does it hurt, Cybele?" 

Cybele moved her arm weakly to her stomach. Alyssa lightly removed the covers, gently lifting her top slightly to reveal a large gash. The skin surrounding it flowed a bright red, and Alyssa was sure she could see the skin pulsating.

"You have an infection." Druig pointed out. "We should take you to the nearest hos—"

"No." Cybele interrupted. "I just need to rest, I'm not leaving this village."

Alyssa turned her head around to face Druig. "We could go into town and get something to treat the infection?"

"No," Cybele said simply. "You're not stepping foot outside of this village either. Neither of you are, I just need some rest."

"But mum—"

"No buts, Alyssa." Cybele's head leant to the side weakly. Tears began to form in Alyssa's eyes.

Druig leant forward towards Alyssa, placing a palm on each of her shoulders. She flinched slightly under his touch, but soon relaxed beneath his palms.

"You can rest here for as long as you need. We'll come and in and clean your wounds every couple of hours to help fight the infection off." Druig said simply, using Alyssa's shoulders to push himself off the bed. He stepped next to Alyssa, ushering for her to follow him. "Come on, your mum needs to rest."