Sleepless Nights

a/n - im not good at writing the kind of stuff i have planned towards the end of this chapter, so please excuse the poor writing style. thank you all so much for baring with, I owe you all the world <3

~

Alyssa couldn't sleep. She contemplated going out into the living area, though she decided against it, not wanting to face him.

As she stared up at the ceiling, her mind danced through her memories of the past hours. The way he abruptly pulled her into him, his delicate touch as their lips slotted together. The reminiscence of his hands on her back and up around her neck overwhelmed her, causing her palms to become clammy as raw emotions raced through her head. She shook off the feeling, attempting to revert back to the resentment and anger she once felt towards him. Though, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't resonate with those feelings anymore. He was in her head, figuratively not literally, and much to her dismay, he was in there for the long run.

She closed her eyes, automatically witnessing flashbacks of their kiss again. Desperately trying to push the thoughts to the back of her mind, she took deep breaths. And eventually, her tiredness got the better of her.

-

Every time Druig closed his eyes, he saw her. He saw her signature angry expression, the one he first noticed upon their first encounter, and the last expression he saw before he sealed their lips together. No matter how hard he tried to convince himself that there was nothing there, he couldn't shake the idea that she had kissed him back.

She kissed him back.

He wondered if he had made a mistake, but that simple thought kept proving him wrong. He hadn't compelled her to kiss him back. Hell, he didn't have time, he didn't even know it was going to happen himself. It was a spur of the moment decision, and he didn't regret it. But why was he over thinking it?

Maybe, he was more fond of her than he thought.

Everything rushed through his head as his mind went into overdrive. It took every ounce of his willpower not to see inside her mind to know how she was really feeling. Exhausted, he closed his eyes one more time attempting to sleep. This attempt being successful.

-
Druig awoke before Alyssa, carefully opening the door to his bedroom. Cybele lay still in his bed, her eyes lit up when she saw him.

"Hey," he smiled, perching on the edge of the bed. "How are you feeling?"

He watched as Cybele's eyes began to fill with tears, though she fought hard stop them from trickling down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry, Druig," she began, her voice hoarse and croaky. "I'm sorry I abandoned you all those years ago, I'm sorry I left you with Ajak and her blind loyalty to Arishem." Now the tears began to fall from her cheek as she slowly reached forward, taking a hold of Druigs hand as he shuffled closer to her. "But I'm not sorry that I would do it all again to have lived this life."

Druig looked down at her, confused. Her eyes were sunken, with large black circles encasing them. Her hands were as cold as ice, thought he could see the beads of sweat forming on her head. Druig gave Cybele's hand a small squeeze, she looked ill, really ill.

"You've nothin to be sorry for, my noble Cybele." He reassured, pursing his lips. He got up from the bed, releasing her hand. Reaching for the tablets, he pushed two into his hand and brought them to her mouth. He handed her a glass of water and she knocked them back with a bit of a struggle.

He sat back on the bed, looking down at his lap as she shuffled around uncomfortably.

"You'll look after her won't you?"