The first step towards control..

"So is Gilgamesh like Thena's boyfriend or something?" Alyssa panted as she thrust another first at Druig's makeshift shield.

Druig had insisted on starting their training the following day, focussing on trying to control her powers as well as fighting technique.

Truth be told, Druig wasn't a fighter. Obviously, he was a thinker and his time as an Eternal meant he concealed himself whilst the others fought the deviants. Although, centuries of watching his peers fight meant he had learnt a thing or two.

"Thena needed someone to care for her when everything went a bit pear-shaped in her head," Druig responded as he dodged another punch. "Gilgamesh has the kindest heart out of anyone I've ever known."

Alyssa pushed another punch straight into Druigs chest, knocking him back slightly. "That doesn't answer the question."

Druig composed himself, standing upright. "I don't know the answer." He answered bluntly, before brushing himself off and adding. "You don't need to put on a protective sister persona."

Alyssa rolled her eyes, before sending a cascade of hits towards Druig. He managed to dodge them all, before she stepped back, wiping the beads of sweat off her forehead. "And what about Ikaris? What's he like? Mum always used to tell me stories about 'Ikaris, the boy who flew too close to the sun'... that him?"

Druig shrugged. "No— well not yet, that I know of..."

He was given barely any time to think before Alyssa kicked her leg up, aiming straight for Druig's chest. His hand snapped forward, catching it briskly, sending her off balance. She wobbled for a second, before Druig dropped her leg and surged forward. He grabbed her wrist tightly, pulling her steady.

Alyssa stepped slowly towards him, until their faces were just centimetres apart. "Should have let me fall," she spat. "How else am I going to learn."

He didn't respond, instead finding his eyes follow her as she traipsed off. When she edged towards the river, both her hands pulled at the piece of cloth tying her hair up. Moments later, her long brown locks flew elegantly in the breeze. He admired her from afar, watching as her hips sassily swayed from behind.

He leant against the tree behind him, letting out an exasperated sigh as he slipped himself down the trunk. He held his head in his hands for a moment.

This was going to be difficult.

~
Later that day, the pair found themselves sat together eating lunch in Druig's hut. Alyssa sat uncomfortably. Her leg stammered vigorously under the table causing it to shake, their plates were jumping up and down on the wood. 

Druig looked up at her as her eyes scanned the room nervously. He placed a firm hand on the table, suppressing the vibrations. "So I know it's all fresh, but how have you been feeling?"

She shook her head, lower lip tucked firmly into her mouth. "Like I'm going to explode at any given moment." She let out a deep breath. "If I think about anything too much,  a massive fire courses through my veins." She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.  "I started burning up earlier, just because I was hungry."

Druig tried to stifle a laugh at her last comment, earning him an annoyed expression from across the table.

He shuffled awkwardly and cleared his throat. "So we need to train your mind to suppress your emotions."

Alyssa raised an eyebrow. "You make that sound easy."

Druig dipped and shook his head. "It's not, believe me."

Alyssa looked over at him, vulnerability plastered across her face. "How do you do it?"

Druig lifted his head to meet her gaze. She was staring with such intent, yet with a glint desperation. In that moment, he felt deeply connected to the girl sat opposite him. Her raw vulnerability fuelling his desire to ensure nothing bad could ever come of her.

His subconscious carried him to her. He knelt next to her seat, his slender frame rising almost as tall. As she shuffled her legs round to face him, he brought his hands to her face, cupping her cheeks as her face shifted to a confused expression.

"Druig, what are you—"

Before she could finish her sentence, Druig sealed their gap. Pressing his lips gently against hers. A small gasp escaped her as she willingly accepted his motion, slotting her lips perfectly into his.

The rhythm of their lips was intimate. Alyssa's hands slipped behind his neck, pulling him closer to her with no escape.

Within moments, intense heat waves began to radiate from Alyssa's cheeks. As his palms grew clammy over her skin, his mind clicked, causing him to pull away just a mere centimetre.

Keeping the short, intimate distance between them he rested his forehead on hers. A similar burst of heat diffused into his skin.

A wave of panic overwhelmed Alyssa, as she began to squirm from his touch. Druig remained his hold on her cheeks, pressing their foreheads together gently.

"Push the feelings to the back of your mind."  He whispered into her lips.

Alyssa squeezed her eyes shut, shaking her head rapidly as their noses brushed against each other's. "I can't." 

Druig's thumbs grazed her cheeks, rubbing soothing circles across her skin. "Focus, Alyssa. Focus on something else." He whispered softly.

After a few moments, her eyes snapped open. Druig's forehead was on fire, causing beads of sweat to meander down the side of his face. Noticing the droplets, Alyssa's heart began to race. He watched intently as her mind worked desperately to push back her emotions, not breaking their close proximity.

She took a moment to control her breaths, aiming her exhalations downwards to avert his lips.

She closed her eyes, taking one more deep breath, before surging forward. Their lips crashing sloppily together.

In that moment, Druig felt his hands and forehead begin to cool. A wave of accomplishment flooded through him, as he dipped his tongue into her mouth, deepening the kiss.

When they pulled away, Alyssa placed a cold hand on his cheek. "How did you know that would work?" She questioned, eyes scanning his face.

Druig tilted his head, leaning more prominently against her palm. "That what would work?"

"Kissing me." She replied in an obvious tone. "How did you know that it would work?"

"Oh, I guess I assumed it would give you something to focus on, instead of letting your emotions overwhelm you." He played off, acting as if he didn't just kiss her due to his own desire to keep her safe.

"And kissing me was the first distraction you could think of?" She furrowed a brow. Druigs eyes widened, assuming she was angry at him. Though he relaxed when she let out a small chuckle. "You're conceited."

She stood up, carefully stepping past Druig as she headed for the door to the hut. Druig leant forward, placing his two elbows on her now empty chair as he still knelt on the floor.

"Well it worked didn't it?" He called out jokingly, causing her to turn to face him. Her face was now radiating a healthy glow, a polar opposite from just a few minutes ago. "It's a start!" He added.

Druig couldn't help but smile, she was beautiful. Especially when she had that infectious, signature smirk spread across her lower face. It had felt like forever since he'd seen her genuinely smile, and he almost felt proud that she might be smiling because of him.

"Yes, Druig. It worked." Her soft whisper pulled him tenaciously from his thoughts. His eyes fixated on her as she reached for the door handle, pulling the door open gently.

She turned again, and when she caught him staring at her, her lips beamed like a kid at Christmas. She giggled awkwardly, giving him a sarcastic wave before closing the door behind her.

~

a/n ~ ahhh they're so cute!!

I'm getting tired of this SLOW BURN now so I'm gonna start hiking up the feelings in hereeeeee

love you all xxx