Chapter 1

Suzu was at her computer when she felt warm, strong arms wrap around her. Shinobu's head rested in the crook of her neck. "Ohayo."

She took her hands off the keyboard and closed her eyes, leaning back. "Ohayo," she said softly.

He handed her a mug of coffee and leaned against the table.

"Hard case?"

"I just have to type my notes really well, leave no room for the perp to defend himself."

"You are my hero," he said. "Have I ever told you?"

She smiled. He had, many times. "No. Tell me how I'm your hero."

"I'd rather show you."

"I can't right now, Shinobu. If I do, I'll lose my train of thought."

"Dirty mind. I meant breakfast."

"Oh. Sorry!"

The two of them had breakfast at their tiny apartment's breakfast table.

Suzu patted her mouth. "Oishi, arigato." She picked up her notes that were printing while they ate. "I have to go. See you."

At the clinic where she worked as a children's counselor and advocate, she greeted the staff. In the waiting room was a young child whose feet did not touch the floor. Instead of playing with any of the toys in the waiting room, the child repetitively twisted her fingers.

The receptionist gave Suzu a knowing look. Without delay, she had the child and her guardian come in. Suzu spoke gently. "Hello. I am Dr. Naito. You are safe here. No one can hurt you." The child relaxed a little.

The examination was quick. Suzu always hoped she would find no evidence of abuse. But more often than not, it was there. She always had known people kept secrets, and she had become uncannily good at uncovering them.

The rest of the day was spent in a court hearing. The defense lawyer jabbed at her testimony, trying to poke holes in it. But she parried again and again.

As she left the courtroom, she turned on her phone. There was a text from Ruka.

Don't forget dinner tonight! Xoxo

Suzu groaned. She had forgotten, but her sweet friend knew her too well. She and Shinobu were meeting Ruka and her fiancé Shinjiro Chikami.

To be continued