Chapter 15

The next hour passed like a dream, songs, backdrop changes, dancers, guest stars. It was one of the most wonderful times Suzu had ever had.

The energized crowd seemed to agree. Tomo spoke. "It's almost time to say goodbye. Thank you all so much for coming. But we have one more song for you, a surprise - "

Suddenly the mic cut out. The lights went off, plunging the arena into instant darkness. The glow sticks had lost most of their luster, so they only provided a faint light. The crowd chattered in anticipation of a surprise, but when the lights didn't turn on, it turned into uneasy chatter.

"My phone's dead," Suzu heard Ruka say, just as there was a quick motion of a strange shadow in front of her. Ruka cried out, then Shinobu.

Suzu swiped her glow stick around frantically. She was disoriented. She forgot what direction the stage was or where her boyfriend had been seated.

Her glow stick fell on Shinobu's face. A thin line of blood trickled out of his mouth.

He opened his mouth though it looked painful.

"R - run ."

Suzu couldn't move. She felt paralyzed. She closed her eyes, awaiting whatever fate had fallen her boyfriend.

Just then a perfumed hand grabbed hers and yanked her out of the seat. Suzu saw a very dim EXIT sign. Whoever had her hand pulled her toward it.

Long dark hair whipped Suzu's face as they ran in the opposite direction of the arena. She smelled the hairspray from earlier. It was Ruka. Ruka was moving them away from the danger. Gradually sounds began to come back, at first muffled, then clear.

Running through the streets of Yokohama, Suzu was afraid to turn around. She was meek, unconfident. All of the bluster and bravado she had displayed in the courtroom last week had been taken away by the shadow. The shadow who killed Shinobu.

Ruka was holding on like she would never let go. Suzu could feel Ruka's nails digging in. The pain barely registered.

"He's still after us," gasped Ruka. Suzu turned around.

She saw a hooded figure. One of the concert goers still wearing the slicker? But no, it wasn't. This one was dark and menacing. And looking straight at her. Suzu couldn't see his face but could feel his eyes boring into her.

The paranoia she had pushed back burst its dam.

Suzu reached into her purse and jettisoned her cell phone and did the same with Ruka's cell phone.

Ruka cried out, "I want Shinjiro! Why did you throw away my phone?"

They came to a dead end. They were at the end of an alleyway. There were only trash cans and back doors of offices that were closed. Suzu cursed. They had been unwittingly shepherded here.

Ruka's short burst of assertiveness vanished as they looked at the alleyway entrance. She slid down at the end of the fence, limp and motionless.

The hooded figure ran up. He wasn't very big, but he drew a large hunting knife.

"Belle. At last ."

He grabbed her arm with his free hand, his other hand still holding the knife. She pulled back but his grip was strong.

"No !"

"Come with me and I won't hurt you. I don't want to hur - "

Thud!

A dark blur dropped from above. It landed in between Suzu and the attacker, who in surprise let go of her arm.

The figure was huge. It had long hair and was dressed all in black, wearing a leather jacket that bulged where his back muscles tensed.

He looked over his shoulder at Suzu, a single eye glowering with intensity. Suzu recognized that eye.

It was Kei! 

Recovering, the attacker tossed the knife to his fighting hand and lunged at Kei.

Kei raised his left leg and connected with the man's solar plexus. Thwack! He flew backwards from the tremendous force.

"Oof ! " Somehow, he managed to hang onto his weapon, and fled into the night.

"Belle!" Kei turned to her rather than pursue. She took one step forward and fainted in her saviour's arms.

TO BE CONTINUED