Chapter 20

Kei and Suzu were driving to Justin's house. They had debated announcing their visit, and decided against it. One, as Kei said, he might take the chance to go on an errand. Two, as Suzu stated, the element of surprise was in their favor.

As it turned out, Kei and Belle were the ones who were surprised. When they arrived at Justin's home, he was dead.

Justin lay on his stomach on the kitchen floor. A glass of orange juice was spilled next to him, the glass shattered. He had been poisoned. A small trickle of blood ran from his mouth.

His handsome days had left him behind years ago. The slim, muscular body had lost most of its muscle. He still had shaggy blond hair over his ears, but it had receded past the top of his head.

His home was simple, humble even, suggesting none of the grandiose life he must have led with all his sponsors during his time as the leader of the Justice Guards in U.

Kei felt for a pulse, already knowing it was too late. He took out his handgun and raised it.

"Stay here. I'm going to check the house."

As soon as he left the room, Belle's U headphones lit up.

An incoming call . . . on U headphones? It shouldn't have been possible.

"Hello?"

A voice filled her ears.

"Hello there, Belle. Do you like my surprise?"

"What surprise? I don't -" She froze. "You mean, Justin??"

"Yes, yes. I mean Justin."

"Why??"

The voice sighed. Belle couldn't tell if it was male or female. "Honestly, Belle, I love you to bits. But you can be so dense sometimes. Justin caused you so much trouble. I got rid of him for you and I wanted you to see."

"Who are you? I . . .  want to properly thank you, you see."

"That's better. That's much better. Not time yet. But soon." The headphones went dark just as Kei came back.

"There's no one - " Kei saw her face. "What's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost."

I've brought so much danger down on everyone. This whole thing – it all started with me.

She shook her head. "It's nothing. I'm still a little airsick from the plane."

Kei nodded. "I'm sorry. I'm pushing you too hard."

"I'll just sit a bit."

"All right. I'll call Daichi to come get the body. We will have to push the group debrief back." He went back on his cellphone, but not before he put his hand on her shoulder, which she took unthinkingly for comfort.

They held hands while Suzu thought the unthinkable.

TO BE CONTINUED