Chapter 5

The train to Suzu's rural home had stopped running years ago. She drove her modest compact car home.  When she turned on the car radio, she was not surprised to hear Tomo's - "Angel's" latest hit song. She tapped the steering wheel in time to the music.

Angel . . . my angel

It's raining . . .

I can't see you through the storm

Do you still want me,

Like you did before?

Without your love

I can't survive

I'm drowning!

Suzu had worked very, very hard to be able to listen to music again.  For most of her life, listening to music or trying to sing made her physically vomit. Because for so long she associated it with her mother. Suzu's mother had taught her how to love music. But then, Suzu's mother had drowned in a tragic act of heroism, saving a young girl stuck on a bank in the middle of the Yoshino River. And that was why Suzu had let her classmate convince her to be U superstar "Belle." Not for the fame; so she could sing again as her alter ego.

The station paused music for ads.

A place to laugh.

A place to play.

A place to call home.

Come back to U.

Suzu wondered why the most successful and largest online community in the world was still doing ads. If anyone had not heard of U by now, they must be living under a rock.

Despite her trying not to, Suzu was pulled into memories of the virtual reality.

She was dressed in a beautiful dress, singing a catchy song to thousands of fans. Everything was bright and colorful. Come along, come along to a place you've never been before . . . Stand up, the party's over here
Come one, come all, jump into the fire
Keep up, let go of your fears
Stand proud and tall, we will never grow tired
Line up, the party's right here
Come one, come all, let's follow the north star
Step in, you are whatever you wanna be
You are free just like all of us are
Dance away a world you never loved from the start
It's our ride to the future, are you ready to depart? 

Everyone loved her. They were in awe of her. No one knew who she really was.

Suzu didn't really have friends then. She was led – no, really pushed – into fame by a female classmate with an uncanny aptitude for technology, and for ingratiating herself with teachers to have unfettered access to the school's computers. Suzu wouldn't have done it if she hadn't been pushed.

Crafting mulberry wedding invitations with Ruka was just what Suzu had needed to relax before court. Ruka had not brought up the subject of a proposal, and Suzu appreciated it. But now she was on the way home – and there was no way to avoid it.

When she turned her key in the lock, it was quiet. There was no smell of dinner cooking. The TV was on but the sound was off. Her boyfriend (fiancé?) was fast asleep on the couch. Suzu sat next to him and watched him sleeping. She glanced at the banner scrolling sideways on the bottom of the screen.

Tender feelings rose up in her heart. His side profile, tousled hair and handsome face, still fascinated her. She was at best a mousy schoolgirl when they went to school together, and today, when she looked in the mirror, things hadn't changed much. She saw the way other women looked at him. Suzu was happy he was hers.

She fell asleep next to him. Across the screen, something flashed, but she was already asleep. It read: U  SOLD TO MYSTERY BUYER.

TO BE CONTINUED