Chapter 12

Suza and Ruka walked to the stretch limo. Daichi walked around to the passenger door to open it. The door opened from the inside before he could do it, Shinjiro and Shinobu tumbling out of the backseat, looking very sharp in tuxedos. Shinjiro wore a light blue tux, Shinobu a white. Shinjiro's usually messy brown hair was combed back in a wavy look that suited his face. They looked fantastic. They were each holding full martini glasses that miraculously had not spilled.

"Hello, girls!" said Suzus's boyfriend Shinobu. "You thought we were just kicking around Tokyo, but we have a surprise for you!"

Ruka's boyfriend Shinjiro grinned. "I mean, we didn't pay for it, well, not all of it, but – ow ! Hey, don't slosh the drinks!"

Shinjiro and Shinobu held the glasses out to their respective ladies, but Ruza and Suzu marched to opposite doors without a word and slid in the seats. The boyfriends' smiles faded and turned to looks of puzzlement.

They got in the limo. Shinobu looked at Suzu. All she could manage was a nod. She kept her hands clasped tightly together. Suzu snuck a glance at her friend, who was staring at her phone.

"How about some music," said Daisuke. He put on some pop music and also some lights which danced in prisms on the ceiling. Suzu was grateful for the distraction.

The men were still holding the drinks. "I'll take that," said Ruka. She downed it in one gulp, then started choking. "Hack! Kack! " Shinjiro thwacked her on the back.

The ride to the hotel seemed to take forever, but once Daisuke opened the door, none of them thought about their disagreement.

It was tall, it was gorgeous. Ten stories of luxury. And that was just the outside. Daisuke opened the doors for them. "Wow," said Ruka. Suzu silently agreed.

In the lobby, the carpet was so plush you could not hear your footsteps. There were lots of leather sectionals around glass tables upon which were fresh flowers.

The lady at the counter bowed. "Welcome VIP guests for the concert. Please, let us show you your room."

When they got to the room, it was huge. Big windows looked out on Yokohama Bay. There was a private server with a white towel over his arm standing next to a bucket of champagne and a table laden with fruit. A maid and a wardrobe assistant stood with a rack of dresses for the girls to choose from.

The waiter bowed and popped the champagne. He filled a glass picked to hand it to Suzu, who said, "Two, please." With a cup in each hand, she strode up to the wardrobe.

Suzu was going to do her best to have a good time, leave all the stress of work behind, and party with her best friend and their men.

And she was going to look damn good doing it.

The hairstylist curled Suzu's hair. "How lucky you are, to see Angel in this premier concert arena. This is the inaugural show for K-Arena, you know. It has been planned for at least a year."

"How did you get tickets?" said the manicurist who was working on Suzu's nails.

"It wasn't me, actually, it was my friend. She won tickets in U."

"Very lucky lady, very lucky. Another strawberry?"

During the last two hours, Suzu had been plied with fruit, water crackers, cheese and champagne. She was feeling great and hoped Ruka was feeling the same. A partition was set up where they were working on Ruka. Suzu could smell the heated hair and the shampoo. She heard the hairspray and heard Ruka's tinkling laugh. She could hear the boys laughing in the main room.

Her phone rang. An attendant held it up to her ear while the polish was being dried.

"Hey girlfriend!"

"Joey-san!"

"How's Yokohama? Are they treating you well?"

"Like a princess."

'They better or they'll have to answer to me. You are a princess."

"But there's one thing . . . " She told him everything that had happened at the zoo. "So, am I the asshole here?"

Joey was quiet for a moment. "Yes and no. What have I told you that you should get."

"Therapy."

"And have you?"

"No," she said miserably. "Am I becoming paranoid?"

"From everything you've told me, yes. It's partly the nature of the job."

"Partly? What do you mean, Joey-san?"

"Look, I know a guy. He's great. I'll give him a call."

For the first time in a while Suzu felt hopeful. "I love you."

"Love you too."

"We're almost ready to show you off, miss. You look absolutely stunning. Your boyfriend has no idea what's going to hit him."

Looking in the mirror, Suzu had to agree.

"Just some jewelry, now."  Suzu chose some earrings that looked like roses. She didn't know why, but it reminded her of something.

"How about this necklace? They are real pearls." Suzu nodded.

The stylist reached for her silver bell necklace. "I can hold onto this for you - "

Suzu clutched it. She shook her head. "No. This stays on. It was a gift from . . . someone important,  no -  special to me." It was more than she would have revealed, but the champagne had relaxed her.

The attendant seemed inordinately pleased. She put the pearl necklace on Suzu.

TO BE CONTINUED