Chapter 19

Hiroka, and Daichi soon arrived.

"Where's Tomo?" asked Kei.

"He's exhausted from his concert. Otto is with him, of course. I'll make sure to brief Otto later."

"Let's get started," said Hiroka. "We need to make a list of suspects." She rolled up to a whiteboard and took the cap off a dry-erase marker.

Kei said, "It could be Justin. He has a motive for sure. He threatened to dox you but he got doxxed and lost all his endorsements."

Suzu said, "What about your father?"

Kei looked shocked. "Our father . . . "

"I'm sorry, but we have to look at everyone," said Hiroka.

Kei looked at the floor and then back up. "You're right." He added his father's name to the list.

"Who else?" said Hiroka.

"Who had a bigger connection to Belle than you?" said Kei.

Hiroka looked shocked. "I had no reason to hate or want revenge on Belle."

"How did you end up in a wheelchair?" asked Daichi.

"Hey!" said Suzu.

"I don't like to talk about it," said Hiroka. "But I've been assigned this case from the first murder. No one knows about my being Belle's manager."

Kei wrote Hiroka's name on the board. They glowered at each other.

"Let's take a break," said Daichi. He went to the kitchen and came back with four cups of tea.

Everyone sipped their tea, thinking to themselves.

"Hiro," said Suzu, "I can have Joey from my law firm send a list of chomos I've put behind bars. Their family members."

"Ok, great," said Hiro. Soon six more names were added.

"Now we investigate each one."

"We first have to figure out where Justin is these days," said Kei. "I'd like to have a talk with him." He cracked his knuckles.

"Um, perhaps it would be better if I went," said Daichi.

"I'll go with you," said Suzu.

Kei looked at her. She was still wearing the yellow gown, her hair falling out of the now messy bun. It suited her, but she couldn't be comfortable.

As if she read his mind, Hiro said, "How long are you going to wear that getup?"

Suzu blinked as if not understanding. Then she looked down. "Oh."

Hiro handed her a paper bag. "I brought you some clothes."

"You'll stay here for the time being."

Suzu took the bag and went into the bathroom to change.

She didn't even protest, thought Kei.

Interesting.

The next day, they split up into two teams. Daichi and Hiro, and Kei and Suzu.

Daichi and Hiro were investigating the child molesters and their family members. Suzu and Kei were going to talk to Kei's father and Justin.

They were in his car, Suzu wearing a casual outfit from Hiro. Her U headphones were around her neck.

Suzu was surprised when they took the turn to the airport. "Where are we going?"

Kei said, "To see my father, of course."

"But -"

"You can't get there with a car. I have a charter plane."

They parked at the airport and boarded a small plane. Suzu sat down and buckled her seatbelt. Kei did the same.

Suzu was confused but she grudgingly admitted to herself that she was the one who insisted their father be investigated. She looked out the window at the clouds.

They soon landed on an island. It was green and forested. There were some wooden cabins and a temple. Suzu heard a booming noise coming from the woods. She looked at Kei in puzzlement, but his face was impassive.

She followed him down a forest path, the booming becoming louder and recognizable just before they came out in a clearing and saw several huge Taiko drums.

Men were beating the drums, dressed in traditional taiko drummer clothes: headbands, loose black pants and a shirt open at the chest.

Suzu was completely at a loss for words. She was usually so confident, sure of what would happen next, but Kei had taken all that. Unlike Shinobu, she never knew what he was thinking or going to do next.

"Son!" A handsome man came over to them. He looked totally different than how Suzu had seen him last: an angry, out-of-control man who was abusing his two sons. He radiated calmness and peace.

"Wow, you look wonderful. I hardly recognize you." He embraced Kei. "And you. Hello. It's good to see you."

Kei explained why they were there.

"Yes, I hurt my sons after my wife died. I was evil. But I'm not the same man. I am not your killer. Your eyes, miss. They purified me, convicted me." When he hefted his drumstick over his shoulder, there was something of the Zen in his stance.

On the plane back, Kei sat across from her. His arms were crossed and he had a smirk she wanted to smack off his face.

"Now let's go see what Justin has been up to," he said.

Suzu nodded.

TO BE CONTINUED