Chapter 16

Emperor POV

When I met Chang'er for the first time he was scaring some thugs. There were several of them but he stood up against them without having any trace of fear in his face.

It was the first time in my life that I felt attracted to a man.

At first, I felt a sparkle of curiosity, especially when he ignored me.

I'm the emperor, who dares to turn their back on me and don't reply to my words? I should have left right away but I wanted to see those cold and indifferent blue eyes again so I waited and waited... He seems to have forgotten my presence here until the moment when I spoke again.

I bring him and the little boy with me. Why am I helping him? So that I can be with him a little more?

When I ask him to undress so that I can take a look at his wound, he stiffs. Is he afraid that I want to eat him? Silly boy, I'm not into men.

But when I see the body that his clothes hide, I feel the blood rushing to my lower parts.

What's wrong with me? Have I been too long without being with one of my concubines that now even a boy excites me?

I take care of his wound myself instead of calling someone. His skin is so soft under my fingers. He acts like his wound doesn't hurt at all even when I disinfect it, except for a brief moment. Makes me wonder if he is so used to pain that he doesn't feel anymore.

When he tells me who he is, I feel guilty. Does his cold and indifference come from losing his family? How would he be if I didn't kill his family?

I should stay away from him. He is just a chest piece, a blade to be sharpened and used against the prime minister so that I can take back the control of the court.

But I end up taking in the little boy he saved so that I can see him again.

When I pretend to not know who his father is, I see a flash of anger in his eyes. For a second, I feel like a tiger is about to pounce on me to kill me but then a maid comes and his eyes go back to the cold and indifference. It must have been an illusion.

That night I dream about him. It's the first time that I have had a spring dream. I had bed servants and later on concubines since a young age so this never happened to me before and I feel ashamed.

The next day we go out to eat. I push his chair without thinking twice. Strangely he doesn't look surprised, as if he is used to it.

He eats few so I end up putting food in his bowl so he can eat more. Maybe because of the dream and because yesterday his skin seemed so soft, I end up brushing my fingers against his.

Yes, it's soft.

I seem addicted to that touch so I keep doing it. He acts as if he doesn't feel it but he doesn't avoid it.

I pay the bill so that I can see him again and invite him to see the little boy the next day. He agrees.

When he leaves, I go back inside and I order the manager to fire the waiter who mocked him at the entrance.

I'm the owner of this restaurant. My birth mother left this and other businesses for me and I use it to keep the secret army that my father left me.

Everyone thinks that I'm the son of the Empress Dowager.

My father fell in love with the daughter of a merchant. She was a free spirit and didn't want to be caged in the palace so my father never took her as a concubine.

When she was 2 months pregnant; she drank poison that was meant for my father. The imperial physician said that it harmed her body and she would probably not survive childbirth.