Chapter 13: A Possibility

•Alec Golinger•

I wasn't allowed to be outside of Patrick's sight. Not that I was complaining about it. The Asher and Avi situation had figured itself out, but the danger of being attacked hadn't vanished. If the brothers were desperate they could've kidnapped me and demanded enough rations to survive on their own in return for my life. Thankfully, they weren't tainted by William and asked for Patrick's help.

"So, I was thinking...me and you visit that cave. The same one where we..." I looked up at a red faced Patrick, finding it cute that he was so nervous about asking me such a thing.

"The cave were you proceeded to sleep with me during a hurricane? That's so romantic Patrick," I said sarcastically. Patrick obviously didn't get the joke because he began to apologize profusely.

"No, that's not what I...I just thought that we could spend sometime away from camp and..."

I began giggling, easing his embarrassment. A date on this island seemed so far fetched. A person would have to be extremely creative and charming to get away with it. Luckily, Patrick was both those things.

"I'm pulling your chain. I wanted to see you squirm a little. Of course I'd go with you to the cave," I smiled, hoping we could make some more memories with each other. Patrick was such a busy person and I didn't want to bother him with my sexual needs. I didn't want to be the needy boyfriend or be clutched to him like a leech. I could be independent. I had done it for most of my life.

"Really? Your the best Alec!" He exclaimed. He then grabbed my hand and pulled me out of our shared hut. I stumbled behind him, wondering if he had the same intentions as me. Or was he just excited to be alone with me. Either way I was glad it was me he wanted to be with.

Patrick dragged me through camp and onto the beach where a few kids were playing in the water. The tides were low and the sun was beaming, making it a beautiful day to play. I was happy that the smaller kids were enjoying themselves. They had the hardest time adjusting to this new life.

"You see that..." I looked up into Patrick's marveling eyes, catching a gleam of hope. We knew we could survive, but we had no idea what our future would look like. Could we be happy? Could we raise a generation of people here if we were never found. There were so many questions that went unanswered and all we really had was hope to figure all that out. "-That's what I want the younger ones to be able to do. I hate seeing them sad," he explained. Every now and then we'd still get some of the smaller kids having nightmares or crying because they miss their families.

"I know. I want them to be happy too. It's just that what if we are never found. I know some of the girls who are pregnant are scared. Child birth can be dangerous and we don't have any doctors here," I explained. It was a rising tension in the air about pregnancy. It was something we couldn't avoid on the island. We had no forms of contraceptive to provide people. We knew things would eventually happen and some of girls would eventually get pregnant.

"Like you, I want them to be safe. I never thought we'd make it to the point that people would be conceiving children. I didn't plan for it," Patrick explained. I guess I couldn't expect a boy like Patrick to think that far ahead. In all honestly I had assumed he'd have a baby with Athena. I'm sure they were having sex and I was positive he loved her at one point, or at least cared enough to please her in such a way that it made him look like he did.

"What's with that face?" Patrick asked as we made it to the entrance of the cave. I shook my head, letting that thought out of my mind. It was impossible. If Athena was pregnant, then she'd tell Patrick. Right?

"Nothing," I mumbled.

Patrick's blue eyes forced me to look at him and demanded that I reveal what I was thinking. It was impossible to hide things from a boy who cared to much about me.

"It's a silly thought. One that's probably not even realistic," I explained. Patrick sighed as he pulled me into the cave. I stumbled behind him for about a minute before we came to a familiar bolder that was flat on the top near the entrance. It was the same bolder he sat on when he proceeded to take my virginity.

Patrick sat me down on the flat surface and looked at me seriously. "I don't care if it's silly. I want to hear it," he demanded. I looked down at to fingers nervously. Patrick would react in two ways depending on the possibility of it. He'd either deny it because he was sure Athena wasn't pregnant or he'd start to question everything.

"It's nothing...I just thought that maybe there's a possibility that Athena might be pregnant," I grumbled out. Patrick froze, his eyes trained on me. It was like he had to shut down his entire body to scan his memory of his time with Athena. After what felt like a lifetime, Patrick's eyes dropped as he shook his head. Then sat down next to me and hung his head low.

"I'm not going to sit here and tell you that there isn't a possibility. I never expected things to turn out this way Alec. I never thought that me and you would..."

"Be together," I said, finishing his statement. He was right to think that way. We weren't supposed to be together. If that storm never happened I would've never fallen in love with him. If the ship had never wrecked we would never be here.

"Alec..." Patrick grabbed my hands, his eyes filling with tears. "-I don't want you to feel like I wasn't thinking of you when I was with her. What we did together. I couldn't stop thinking of you when I was with her. God I feel so foul even admitting this. If she is pregnant I'm so sorry. I..." I stopped him right there. There was no point in apologizing for something that was out of his control at this point. If Athena was possibly pregnant then we had a bigger problem on our hands.

"D-do you think she'd hide it from me?" Patrick asked. I had no idea. Up until Athena finding me with Patrick, she had been the nicest girl on the island. She cared about everyone and everything. However, she was hurt, angry, and confused. I was aware that she hated my guts and would rather have me dead then with Patrick. It was also possible that she'd hide her pregnancy from Patrick to use the unborn baby against him. Patrick would do anything to care for what he claimed was his or part of him.

"I don't know."

•Athena•

I was starting to show. A fire within me was forming and I'd use it to burn those who had crossed me and I didn't care who got in the way. I'd kill if it meant getting my revenge. I wanted to squeeze every ounce of life out of Alec and have Patrick watch. I wanted to see the look on his face when his lover begged for his life as I squeezed it from him. I wanted Patrick to know that there was nothing he could do. I wanted him to feel what it felt like to loose everything he cared for.

"Why does it look like your scheming?" A voice spoke from behind me. It was Gabriel. He was holding several strings with fish attached to them as he looked at me.

"What gave it away? Was it the evil face or the constant scowl," I joked. The boy chuckled lightly while placing his catch for the day around a branch. His eyes then traveled to my stomach which was only slightly protruding.

"Wow! Does he even know?" Gabriel asked. I shook my head, not caring in the slightest if Gabriel judged me.

"So that's your game. That's why your here....you know...if you need help..."

"Of course...I know you Gabriel. That hate you feel inside. The people who hurt you deserve to suffer as well."