We Wanna Be Noticed 🎪(Prologue)

MISTER TOPHAT'S POV

1944

'We both feel alone! We both wanna be noticed! We both want to be known!'

The lightning was rather flamboyant with a royal blue hue around its sharp edges as it flared against the dark unobstructed sky. Its extra limbs were jutting out separating its smaller jagged lines from the dense trunk of the main bolt.

Suddenly, a roaring wave of thunder made its boisterous presence known. More lighting came followed by the heavy sound of rain striking the leaves shaking on the trees.

Abruptly, the sound of the thunder chased the monstrous zig-zagged-shaped lights back up into the clouds. Before long, the lighting cracked again, and another roar of thunder closely followed.

The storm rolled in too fast, as did everything else on that gloomy night.

The figures turned and left. -Unfazed by the storm, unfazed to everything... Including me. They should be fazed. They should be especially phased after what they just pulled.

They walked away with her.

I was seemingly the only one who noticed.

Nobody notices me- I wanna be known!

I know she wants to be known too, just as much as I do.

And no one noticed what had just happened. Nobody knew... No one even knows that I that we exist and in some time, we may be completely forgotten. It is my responsibility to say and make sure that never happens.

The shadows were murky. They were muchly so unfazed by her innocence, and I could do nothing but watch. Even if my body wasn't trapped beneath the ruins of my dreams, I didn't have my cane, and I was helpless.

The choppy funnels of thick dark smoke rose up into the sky mixing with the pure white clouds turning the sky a murky and unpleasant color. I tried to move, and again and again, I tried but my efforts were merely a waste of energy. I wasn't going anywhere for the moment.

All I could think was to scream. I groaned and yelled out as the dust circled around me trapping me in yet another way, shape or form.

My eyes burned- like the sensation one might get if if something gets in your eye or you're trying to hold back blinking so the tears don't fall. In my case, it was more of the last bit.

I hated feeling helpless, but the thing I hated, even more, was watching a dream of mine and a dream far far bigger, and more valuable to me than the burnt and singed remains of what was once a dream, just up and vanish.

A single long and cold tear slipped down my cheek in what felt like slow motion making the moment even more agonizing and numbing. It felt like needles to the flesh.

I blinked hoping this was a nightmare. HOPING I WOULD JUST WAKE UP!

The last I saw of her, was her black shoes followed by her velvet red pants -Once a vibrant shade of red, now smeared with black ash. She was out of my line of sight, and my green eyes could not catch her own green eyes one last time before I barely excepted my state.

As I lay on my left side, I thought about my father... This man who was laying here, me, was not the man he knew I could be. -This was not the Cochran legacy. I did not accept the state of things, of myself, nor of her.

This was not their legacy.

This was not my father's legacy.

This was not my father's dream.

This was not my legacy.

This was not her legacy.

This was not her dream.

This was not my legacy.

This was not our dream.

And this was not our legacy.

This was the night a family got smaller.

'Wash the sorrow from off my skin. Show me how to be whole again. Fly me up on a silver wing, past the black where the sirens sing. Warm me up in a nova's glow and drop me down to the dream below. Cause I'm only a crack in this castle of glass." -CASTLE OF GLASS by LINKIN PARK

(697 words)