Chapter XIX 🎪Up His Sleeve

Madison pulled the 'fear card' to which I laid down the 'trust card' -It went on like a mental game of cards.

Hate - Love

Baggage - Strength

Fear - Trust

Burden - Committed

Lies - Devoted

Family - Family Maybe her mindset was beginning to shift... I spoke all too soon.

Neglect - Affection

Abuse - Protection

Honesty - Forgive

Caring - Support

Family - Time

Daughter - Father

Father - Family

Daughter - Madison

Marcus - Father

  It appeared as though she was gaining my trust.

Just as I placed my left hand on Madison's left shoulder, my grand entrance was interrupted by nightmares. I then subtly gestured my cane towards the oncoming nightmares which froze them both instantly and time stood still all around the ring.  Everyone was left completely still, like statues, except Madison and me.

"Madison, go sit inside my inner chamber -You know where. Please, go." 

I whispered into Madison's ear as I secretly slipped her the gold coin from my pocket. -The scorpion side facing up.

She looked at me as she hesitated to leave. She could see that Alphie and Eia were standing about two feet away from us.

I hugged her snuggly, softly.

She knew what was going on, she knew what I wanted to do, but she hadn't been sure if I'd have the guts or courage to do it.

The rumble of thunder echoed all around the Carnival grounds and the wind whispered through the trees that were placed just so and it made it seem like the trees were caging in the show. It started pouring. It came down out of nowhere and the canvas tents, the food trucks, the rides, and the games were all soaked in a matter of only a few short minutes.

As the rain began puddling in shallow, yet wide pools in all the various holes and cracks in the gravel, Madison turned away but still, her emerald eyes were piercing through me like daggers. -She paused again.

My poor Madison. Everything she had been through!

I approached her. I sensed she didn't want to walk back alone -or without me.

"It's all right."

I spoke in a whisper.

I took Madison's hand, holding it in mine as I walked out of the open lot with her. Once out of sight, behind one of the black box trucks that read: THE COCHRAN CARNIVAL in fancy red calligraphy on all four sides. I softly picked Madison up. I turned my back being sure we weren't about to be followed and I went back to my chamber. -Madison's hand clutched my red blazer tightly with her head perched on my shoulder near the black collar of my shirt.

Flinging open the door with the coin still grasped in her opposite hand, her long hair was weighed down from the rainwater. Mine was the same, and my curls had straightened themselves out.

Madison's hair clung to the back of her shirt. The back of the shirt she had worn for countless weeks and months adhered itself to her back.

I stumbled through the red string of dangling plastic beads draped down from the inside of the doorway with her in my arms. The strands clanked together as I passed through them. Madison shivered at the coldness from her water-ridden clothes.