Chapter VII 🎪The Ringleader's Secret Door

I briefly thought about what might be circling inside her brain at the current time:

A-tall-charismatic-carnival-ringleader-shows-up-in-your-dreams-and-then-you-end-up-at-said- carnival-where-you-get-a-little-desperate-to-catch-a-break-from-your-life-of-fear-and- horrors-so-you-decide-to-trust-the-person-in-charge-of-a-carnival-that-just-happens-to-be-called-'The-Carnival-Of-Doom'-or -maybe-it-just-felt-like-A-Carnival-Of-Doom-and-maybe-it-was-just-a-show-where-now-your-standing-with-him-inside-a-small- space-by-a-weird-door-He's-telling-you-to-peer-behind-the-door-saying-it's-okay-yet- you're-not-sure-You-don't-want-to-turn-your-back-on-him-because-something-just-seems-a-miss-yet-on-the-other-hand-you-feel-connected-with-him-somehow.

'Bruuhhh! What's wrong with that little picture? Last time I checked I liked being scared.'

She moved with much caution as she closed in in front of the dark opening between the two wooden doors. The child looked at me and I lifted my palm from the frame of the doors. I could feel she was thinking I might push her through into the darkness. While I'd never do such a thing, there was nothing bad on the other side of the darkness as Rainey would soon discover.

"Here, I'll go through, and I want you to follow me. It's alright I promise."

I told her.

"Wait! Where does it go? Tell me."

She said in a delicate tone.

"To the stage. It goes to the wooden stage in The Big Tent. I'll be just on the other side. Nothing bad will happen to you. You can trust me."

With that, I walked forward and vanished behind the wall of darkness.

"Why hello!"

I said excitedly as the child eventually came through.

"See, it's all okay."

"What's going on?"

She asked.

"Magic. I don't show up on videos or films. I'm an eternal."

I spoke.

"So, your invisible in that regard?"

The child asked again.

"Magic powers."

I smiled.

"Magic evil powers."

She corrected.

"Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Magic, yes. All though, I wouldn't push it too far on the evil bit."

I rephrased her words as I grinned.

"Is the Carnival always open at night?"

She asked me.

"It's only open at night, my child. I like the darkness."

I smiled lowering my head.

"I have to agree with your words, Mister TopHat."

She spoke tensely.

"The name Emperor Of The Night had to have its origins."

I spoke, and this time with a more sinister-looking grin than before.

"T-the lights do hurt my eyes--"

The child started.

"The sunlight too. -It's all too bright. Our senses have welcomed the darkness with open arms."

I told her tilting my head.

"Yes, and it's quiet as well."

She said as I smiled.

The thought ran through my head:

I was The Emperor Of The Night and her: The Queen Of The Show, Child Of The Moon and Princess Of The Dark.'

(399 words)