Chapter VI 🎪Clowns Of The Carnival

I know a few things, like this for instance:

Time is an evil thing...

See, it always either goes too fast or too slow. -It slips from your grasp like a glass ball covered in oil. A glass ball that slips and suddenly falls from your hands. It smashes into the earth beneath it and breaks.

Time in my case didn't break, it shattered. -Fixing something that's shattered is a bit more daunting than if that something was just merely broken or cracked.

I then found the word taking form on my tongue and it squeezed out in the gap between my lips and my teeth.

"Magic."

I spoke without emotion. -It seemed like the best answer.

"What are you talking about?"

After hearing that, I saw my window and heard the cue.

"M -Rainey, It's all part of the show."

I said wanting to call her an M-name floating in my head, but I disengaged the thought all while crossing my legs, one over the other. Though the light in his chamber was not much of light at all, my glittery sequin pants still shimmered.

I wanted to say the M-name, but it was too soon. I bit my tongue in thought. My teeth had to wrestle my tongue to keep the word from escaping.

I had the child right where I wanted her and where I wanted her was in my life. Again.

In my life– In the scorpion's grasp!

"Where am I?"

She asked looking around.

"My inner chamber."

-My voice cracked.

"You're what? Who are you?" She doesn't remember me. Bloody hell, she does not remember me!

Her eyes stopped wandering to look at me.

"You may call me, Mister TopHat."

I paused.

"Does this look familiar to you?"

I asked hoping she'd see something that this would all click for her.

"No, why would it look familiar?"

M- BRUHHHHHH! -I did it again.

Rainey, RAINEY hadn't remembered, but I keep remembering why I can't stand calling her Rainey.

She didn't even turn her neck to gaze at the gold-framed poster hanging on the wall against the fancy wallpaper.

"Do you remember this?"

I mumbled walking backward-pointing at the gold-framed poster. It was a faded off-white with a clown face bearing red circles on his cheeks for fake dimples. It read 'Circus' across the center in white lettering.

She studied the poster resting beneath one of two lights jutting out from the wall topped with a fancy faded red lampshade -The same shade as the wallpaper wrapped around the interior of the chamber.

"No– I mean kind of... I'm not sure."

She quickly turned back to observe the detailing once more thinking she might have missed something.

She hadn't realized there was no bulb under the lampshade -It was actually a candle with its flame short and barely holding onto the wick, but nonetheless, still burning strong.

"I want you to take a look behind these doors."

I said pressing my left hand to the wooden double doors, applying pressure until they opened.

The child looked at me before perceiving the mysterious vestibule.

"It's all right."

I said with a smile.

She was hesitant. -I couldn't blame her after what she'd been through, and I don't expect her to trust me this soon.

(524 words)