Chapter One

Vivi slouched against my bedroom door and scoffed, I didn't bother to turn around, I would only get chastised yet again. The room was riddled with dirty cups and plates, the curtains hadn't been opened in days and it had started to smell. I probably smelled a bit too.
"I know you're used to people waiting on you, you're highness," she said sarcastically. "But that shit won't fly around here for much longer."
"Leave me to die, Vee." I mumbled, tucked away under my unwashed covers. "I have nothing to live for anyway."
"You're right. You're absolutely right. You should kill yourself right now and be done with it." I looked up from under my cocoon, to see her face was more jovial than sinister. "Or you can shower, get dressed and come out with me and Heather."
"Out where?"
"Clubbing."
"Should I hang myself or jump off the roof?" I burrowed back down into my duvet. Vivi knocked her hand against the door frame before disappearing out of my room.
In the months since my exile, most days had been like this and I didn't see it improving. I found myself obsessing over what I would do to Cardan should I ever come to be in his presence again, I hated him and would never forgive him for subjecting me to the torture of the mortal world. And yet I still found myself musing over his wicked lips and all too clever hands, his kisses that bewitched me like faerie fruit. But still I thought of nothing more than my knife against his throat tied to that chair in the Court of Shadows.
I turned over, tugging my duvet with me. There was a clattering of porcelain and metal against the floor. I sat up quickly to see what had made the noise, plates encrusted with hardened food had shattered against the carpeted floor, followed by silverware that had fallen and bounced across the room. Vivi was right, it was time to sort myself out. I pried myself away from the duvet and stood in front of my mirror. Ghastly. A two day old spaghetti hoop stain, matted hair and breath that could knock Maddoc on his back. I was undoubtedly a mess.
I began by brushing my teeth, the mint stung my tongue, and then I dragged a brush through the tangled bird's nest on my head. I looked at myself in the mirror again, still not much better. So I showered, shaved my legs and changed my clothes. They were all minor changes but still, I felt marginally better for making them. Next came the challenge of tidying my room, it wasn't something I was particularly eager to begin but nonetheless I embarked on my mission. I began with the food encrusted plates, scrubby at them with everything Vivi held in her kitchen, before hoovering and changing my bed sheets.

When I had finished my self-prescribed chores, I called for my sister; knowing that as a faerie she could not lie about my accomplishments. I braced myself for the fanfare, as I guarded my door. When she approached, I dramatically unveiled my almost clean room. I anticipated her reaction as she inspected the space.

"Open a window." She said, hardly glancing at me. "It still stinks."

"Oh," I sighed, a little defeated.

"It's better than it was though." She turned herself to face me. "Do you feel any better?"

"I suppose. So, where are you guys going tonight?"

Vivi explained that they had planned to go bar hopping across town and hit a couple of clubs if they had time. "It's not exactly attending Court at the palace, but it's better than letting you wallow in your own self pity any longer."

I laughed hollowly, she was right. I needed to get out of the apartment soon or I would go crazy. "If I had anything to wear maybe I would go with you, but I look like the Queen of Mirth right now. Maybe I'll come with you next time."

"My God, could you be any more obvious? You can raid me and Heather's wardrobe." Vivi laughed, playfully nudging my arm. "Sort your face out, I know you have makeup."

That was true. I did have some makeup, however the method of which to use it eluded me. Never quite blended or bright enough, lines never straight, just splotchy clumps of black and beige. In Faerie I had Tatterfell to help me to ready myself, but here in the mortal world, I had to rely on my own clumsy hands.
I looked back to Vivienne. "What time are we leaving?"

                                         ***

With my eyes smeared with shimmering black eyeshadow and my lips painted a similar shade, I wriggled into a crimson, latex minidress, raided from Vivi's extensive closet. I tried to recreate the horn-like braids that Tatterfell so skilfully created in my hair, however one ended up a little lopsided. Finally, I stuffed my feet into a pair of black, platform boots. For the first time since arriving back in the mortal world, I looked in the mirror and liked who I saw. I may not be the High Queen of Elfhame, but by god I was majestic.
I strode out into our communal space, enveloped by a new sense of power. Vivi and Heather cheered for me, both standing up to embrace me.
"You look incredible." Vivi grinned, at last telling me a truth I wanted to hear.
"I know."