Chapter Seven

*TRIGGER WARNING- SMUT*

Our foreheads resting against one another, I closed my eyes right away from his words. Truth. It was all he could speak. As desperate as I was to find treachery in his words, I could decipher none.
"Cardan, I-" I began.
"You need not speak now, Jude. You should tell me if you should ever return to our home." He whispered. "If you wish for me to leave you, you need only say once and I'll leave you alone."
I hate him. Except I don't. I only want to keep hating him, I know that now. "Stay with me." My voice, soft and timid, was entirely foreign to me. "Don't leave me again."
He took my hand in his and brought it up to his lips. His hands were soft against my calloused fingers. "Take me home with you."

***

The apartment was silent, undisturbed since we left several hours before. I flipped the switch and illuminated the open living space, socks and bras and unwashed jeans lay over the couch and coffee table. "I'm sorry about the mess. I wasn't expecting to bring anyone back here tonight." I said, feeling my cheeks glow crimson red as I gathered up the dirty laundry. "We don't have maids or servants, it's hard to keep on top of."
I turned to see Cardan, leaning against the washing machine, a smirk dancing on his lips. I glared at him and he laughed a short, curt laugh. "You are so very mortal, Jude. Has anybody ever told you that?" I scowled and he laughed a little harder. "I like watching you do things... normal things to you. I think tonight is the first time I've seen you without a blade."
This made me laugh. Without saying a word, I hitched my skirt up slightly to show him the small silver dagger I had strapped to my thigh. "I'm surprised you didn't feel it."
Cardan moved towards me slowly, I cocked my head to one side trying to work out his next move. His eyes narrowed as he examined my body. Phlegmatically, he lowered himself down to his knees before me as his hands crept up across the back of my dress. He leaned in and kissed my thigh, just above the hilt of the blade. His fingers trailed along my skin, before gently slipping the strap down my leg. He continued kissing my leg as he reached up my dress. With the same methodical movements he pulled down my underwear. My cheeks ran hot as the rest of my body shivered with anticipation. Cardan stood, towering over me. His black eyes were hungry, I looked up at him like a doe in the line of an arrow. He tipped his head towards the sofa, and obediently I went and sat down. The High King placed his fingers softly under my chin, tilting my head to look at him.
"Open your legs for me." His voice was low and gruff and I obliged. "Good girl. Now tell me, did Locke do to you what I am going to do to you?"
I shook my head and he smirked. I had always hated when he did that, but then in that moment I felt something with in me begin to boil. Passionate heat coursing through my blood in a way it had done only once before... the annex behind the throne. Cardan seemed to notice my squirming as he traced his keen fingers along my jawline. His hand lingered for a moment too long and I felt myself sink my cheek into his cupped hand.

In one swift motion Cardan was on top of me, pinning me against the couch. His cool breath tickled my neck, sending an icy shiver through me, as he expertly unzipped my dress and slid it from me leaving me naked and vulnerable to his next move. My fingers shook as I unbuttoned his shirt, fumbling with the intricate clasps.

When finally I rid him of his clothes I allowed my hands to wander across his back. He flinched away as my fingers ran over the crest of a particularly raised, long scar.  "Memories from a lifetime ago, my love." He whispered through gritted teeth. He inched closer, his knee pressing up against me. I let out a soft moan as a chill sprang up through my back, I wanted him more than I could scream. I wanted to push him off me and pull him into me in the same instant. Before I could form a full thought his head had migrated away from mine and had found it's way between my legs as he breathed a soft, cool gasp. His long fingers wrapped around my thighs and squeezed, his nails pinching at my flesh. I took a sharp breath as Cardan's tongue grazed my skin and laced my hands through the tangle of his dark hair.
"Cardan.." I whispered breathlessly. "Cardan please..." He pressed his tongue harder and faster as I squirmed beneath his weight, pulling at his hair. I felt my eyes begin to roll as I climaxed, I arched my back and curled up my toes, it overtook me in tides of pleasure.  As he sat up and wiped his mouth, by body tingled and my legs were weak but I could feel only one thing. I was horrified. How had I allowed this to happen? 

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "This is only going to make things ever more complicated." 

I stared at him, aghast. "Yeah, no shit." I grabbed a cushion from the back of the couch and threw it over my body . 

"I'll ask you this only once, did you figure it out?" His voice was soft. "Did you see through my trickery and stay away only to make me suffer?" 

"Your trickery? What are you talking about?" I asked, my voice shaking. I had grown tired of his mind games, it seemed to me that the whole evening he had been leading me to some proverbial cliff only to keep threatening to push me over the edge. 

"Jude you are the High Queen of Elfhame. The High Queen. You are the crown." For a moment his words meant nothing to me. I knew I was the High Queen, of course I knew. But the crown? What did the crown have to do with anything. Until it dawned on me. "The mortal queen of Faerie who is oh so clever, my dear Jude. Pardon yourself. Better yet, I'll pardon you. Come home and be my wife, come home and be beautiful by my side." I could have strangled him. 

I stayed silent for a while, allowing his revelation to wash over me. "Make me forget." I whispered. "A gease. Or a glamour... I know you can do it. Make me forget tonight so I can go back to hating you."

"Jude-"

"I command you to make me forget." I had lost track of how long I had left controlling Cardan and just hoped with everything in me that he would follow through. "You will make Vivi swear to never tell me. 

"Your deal with my brother, Jude-" 

"You are High King Cardan of the Isles of Elfhame, do you mean to tell me a deal with a dead man is enough to sway your power? I have commanded you Cardan and you will do as I say."

Cardan nodded slowly and looked away from me. "Can I at least stay with you until morning?"

                                                                              ***

I climbed into bed closely followed by Cardan. He wrapped his arms around my waist and scooted his body into mine. His breath was hot against my neck as his chest rose and fell. 

"I'm going to figure it out. Your little trick." I whispered. "I'm going to figure it out for myself. My word isn't worth much but I'll give it to you."

"Your word means everything to me."