The Cabin in the Woods

Victims: Annie Morgen, 5'3, Age:15, blonde, blue eyes. Cassie Morgen, 5'4, Age:17, blonde, blue eyes

This winter was bitingly cold. The snow was hailing down in large chunks and the wind howled into the evening sky as the sun was setting ending the day early. Annie and her older sister Cassie were walking through the cold forest near their house. They were told not to stay out long, but the teenagers weren't going to listen. Cassie had dared her little sister to go into an abandoned cabin in the middle of the forest. Annie said she'd do it only if Cassie at least walked there with her. So, here they were walking there as the sun was nearly down, but it was already dark in the forest from the dark clouds and the clumps of snow piling up on the branches of the trees. They neared the run-down cabin; it was already falling apart: the door was hanging off its hinges, the windows were smashed, and parts of the large roof had caved in. Cassie handed Annie one of their large flashlights and told her to go in. Annie hesitated but went in after Cassie shoved her forward a little. She turned on her flashlight when she entered the doorway only to be met with a pitch-black house, even with the light on she could barely see inside the cabin. Annie walked in and looked around the run-down living room to see a roach infested couch and an old coffee table in the middle of the room. Broken picture frames laid on the ground like someone had thrown them across the room during a fight. She flashed the light around the rest of the room and just saw broken floorboards scattered around. She found the kitchen, or what was left of it, there was rotting food on the counters and dirty dishes in the sink that smelled like they were there for centuries, so she decided against going in, already feeling like she was going to throw up just standing outside of the kitchen. She went down the hallway to the bedrooms. Each room smelled worse than the last and snow was piling in through the broken windows on the beds and the floors making them damp and creaky as she stepped on them. In the master bedroom she found an old photograph of a family: a mother around her early 40's in a white dress and yellow apron, a father about the same age wearing a brown suit and black tie, and a young boy around the age of 10 standing between his mother and father wearing old fashioned overalls. She went back to exploring and was about to go into the hallway bathroom, but a noise stopped her. A loud but distant groan came out of nowhere and startled her enough she almost dropped her light. She stood frozen in place too scared to move. She waited a minute for another sound, but nothing came, she decided to carefully make her way out stepping slowly trying not to make the damp and old floorboards creak under her weight and alert a possible homeless person lurking somewhere in the cabin. She almost made her way to the living room again but was stopped by the same distant groan but this time louder now at this door she didn't go into yet. She slowly opened the door to see a set of stairs leading down into a dark abyss. Her light didn't do anything to see down the stairs other than see a few steps down and the walls surrounding them. She went down slowly and cautiously in case she had to make a break for the front door. She made it about half-way down before she heard the groan again but now it was louder and echoed off the basement walls. The groan was emotionless and sounded gurgled now that she was closer. She almost called out to whoever was down the rest of the way, but suddenly she heard shuffling like whoever it was, was limping. Annie kept quiet and listened to the shuffling, the occasional groan, and the loud beating of her anxious little heart in her chest. She thought whoever it was could hear her heart beating and was following it. The shuffling got louder and louder until it stopped as if the person was down at the very bottom of the steps. Annie was terrified and just wanted to leave but didn't want to risk being followed by the unknown person. Instead of running, she carefully moved backwards up the stairs towards the door in the hallway. Her flashlight started blinking on and off signaling the battery was going out. She started to panic and hit the side of her flashlight to make it turn on again. In that moment, she missed the sound of someone going up the stairs and when the light finally came on, she was met with a horrific sight. A pair of red eyes where the whites should be and grey irises. The tall man in front of her had rotting gray skin with singed blonde hair and his clothes were hanging loosely off of his skinny frame and his jaw moved side to side without control. Annie screamed at the sight in front of her and darted up the stairs rolling her ankle in the process screaming in pain. She laid on the floor hearing the zombie-like man come up the stairs slowly into view from the light of her flashlight which laid on the floor next to her after she fell. The man got down and crawled to her as she screamed and tried to get away but failed as the long arms of the man grabbed her rolled ankle and pulled her back to him. He sank his teeth into her leg making her scream loud enough, even in the horrible weather, it alerted her sister who went in searching for Annie only to see her little sister being torn open alive by that undead man. Cassie screamed and hit the man over the head with her light and looked at her dying bloody sister in the eyes saying she was sorry and ran out crying having to leave her sister behind to be that already dead man's next meal.