Chapter 8 - "Secret love vs Open friendship..."

It's a rainy morning. The sky is sulking with an ashen gloomy face. It's pouring continuously without any respite since the last night. If it continues like this, it will definitely cause waterlogging in some places of Kolkata. Although it's the middle of March and we can expect a pleasant spring this kind of off-season rain makes everybody lazy and romantic. The gang of our 5 boys are not any exception. Manik has an off and the remaining 4 have made it an off. After all, who wants to be in their workplace when the weather is so romantic and perfect for the morning chit chat. Manik and his all 4 chums are sitting in his bedroom. Mihika has gone to her father's house while Mihir is in his office as usual. Manik calls his big brother unromantic in private for a reason. Cabir got some samosa and Pakora (Indian snacks) from the nearby snacks shop. Manik has made masala tea. A perfect combination for perfect weather. All are munching on the food and relishing the hot stimulant when Manik reclines on the bedrest and roams his nonchalant eyes on his friends. His face is beaming with excitement.

"Hey guys, have you ever watched the flat just opposite our house?"

Manik asks eagerly. Cabir arches his brows and retorts,

"Don't say that you are now peeking to someone's bedroom like a voyeur. Shame on you, Dude."

"Shut up...It's not like that. Well, mere samnewali khidki me, ek chaand ka tukda raheta hain. (In the window across from me, a piece of moon lives)

He winks and tries to convey his zeal through the song. Cabir suddenly gets chokes on his samosa.

"I hope he is not talking about Navya. Don't be the third angle in my love story, Manik. After a long time, someone has given me some attention. Otherwise, I was thinking that I will spend the rest of my life by giving love advice only on radio shows. Thank God my phone dropped in the alley that day and I came to know about Navya. It's a coincidence that she previously knew and liked me as RJ Cabir. But it's a beautiful conspiracy of God that I am only that liked lucky person. Should I tell my friends about her? No...not now. Let this like turn to love from that side too. Navya Naveli Naik...I am waiting."

Cabir's track of thought gets derailed by Harshad's poke.

"What happened to you, Bro? Where have you lost? Manik is telling about his newfound crush. Now, don't tell me that you also have some secret Cinderella. Fairy tale love story doesn't suit you, Man. You should be more into a rom-com. RJ Cabir ki comedywala love. (RJ Cabir's comedy love)"

He air-quotes the last line while all the rest supports him with giggles. Cabir shows his tongue in a 'don't care' manner.

"But what about that Nandini Murthy, Bro? Have you met her again or is it still continuing like a Tom and Jerry show?"

Abhimanyu quizzically asks. Manik looks at the ceiling and replies with a mischievous smile,

"No, Man. But we will very soon and this time I will try to be sober. Kuch jhadahi ho gaya. (It went a bit far)"

"Wait...wait...please clear this matter first. Are you into that hot-headed Nandini Murthy or your Chand ka tukda? Dude...polygamy is a crime."

Dhruv sounds hell serious. Harshad and Cabir laugh at his serious tone. Dhruv will always be the good boy in their gang. One woman minded man.

"As of now, Jerry I mean Murthy is leading the queue. Ha...ha...I just love watching her cute nose, red in fury. And Chand ka tukda...well, we always should be open to other options too. Okay, now tell me. Where have you been that day? In fact, where have been for the entire last week? Don't say you are also after your mouse."

Manik utters in jest while nudging Dhruv with his elbow. Immediately Aliya's beautiful face flashes in front of Dhruv's eyes. They have already gone a bit far in the relationship and nobody knows it.

"Should I tell them? But Aliya is Nandini's friend. What if Manik doesn't like it. Aliya also hasn't told anything to her friends about us till now. She fears that Nandini will stop her to meet or talk to me."

Dhruv calculates in his mind while unmindfully mumbles,

"God it's complicated."

"Exactly...just like my story. Why girls are so complicated, Man? I know she likes me but still, she won't say. What should I do?"

Harshad sounds helpless. Cabir rolls his eyes at him and teases,

"Who? That Harddiskwali Supervisor? (That Harddisk Supervisor) You actually have fallen for her? Oh, God. What will happen to your Casanova image? True love is not good for your health, Bro. Think about it."

"Shut up! Keep your valuable piece of advice for others. For example...Abhi. He is a poet. Ask him. If he has become successful to impress that singer Mukti. Abhi, what's the status of your story? Like se love tak pohocha ki nehi? (Did it reach love from like?)"

Harshad's words bring a flash into Abhimanyu's mind. His lips curve in a shy smile. He didn't know that Mukti could be so responsive in their first meet. When he read his poems, he didn't expect that Mukti will like them so deeply and in reply, she will honour him with a soul-stealing kiss. It was his first kiss and it will be his last love. Abhimanyu was about to say something when Manik mouths in a challenging tone,

"I think it's high time for us to choose someone special. But guys, remember, our choices shouldn't be a trouble and obstacle for our friendship. Always choose friends over love because friendship is the most precious thing in someone's life."

.......................................

Scene 2:

It is the same day when our 5 girls are chit-chatting in the same manner in the opposite flat. However, the only difference is, it is an eventful evening. As it is downpouring since the morning, all the girls came early from their workplaces. It is said that when there is no entertainment on the outside, make it in your mind. Following this genius piece of advice, Nandini Murthy gang has arranged a small party in their flat only. The invitee and the invited are the same. Our 5 sassy girls. They have even decorated the leaving room with tuni bulbs and some colourful ribbons. A piece of light music is playing on the Bluetooth speaker while Navya and Nandini are arranging snacks and cold drinks. Aliya and Mukti are giving the finishing touch to the decoration and Soha is making the sitting arrangement. It has been decided that they will play truth and dare during the party.

"Muku, I want to tell you something."

Aliya mumbles while detangling the wire of a tuni bulb. Among all her friends, she is closest to Mukti. As she doesn't know how Nandini will react after knowing about her and Dhruv. So, it's better to discuss it with someone whose mind is not clouded with the pre-concept notion.

"Yes, about what?"

Mukti asks unmindfully as she is trying to paste the ribbons on the wall for quite a long time.

"About a boy. I think I am in love."

Aliya's revelation instantly breaks Mukti's concentration and she almost screams,

"WHAT?..."

At the same time, Navya and Nandini enter the living room. Mukti's yell startles them. Navya clutches the neckline of her top and wails out,

"Kya hua...Chipkali hain kya? (What happened? Is that a lizard?)

In reply, Mukti murmurs,

"Chipkala...(Male lizard..in a funny way)

Author's note: Girls' party will continue in the next part and many secrets will come out through the truth and dare game. So, keep reading.