Chapter 13 - "The coffee date..."

Scene 1:

Scene 1:

A triumphant smile appears on that person's lips. He instantly flips to see a pretty gleeful face.

"I didn't know that you called me here for a test and not on a coffee date, Ms Nandini."

The person retorts. Nandini keeps the dripping umbrella in a corner and walks towards him with a smiling face.

"No, Mr Manik. I invited you on a coffee date only but you know I don't want to go with the proverb, the first impression is the last impression."

Nandini nears Manik's towering frame and mouths with determination and indulgence. Jester dances in Manik's eyes. He replies amusedly,

"And my first impression to you was not very pleasant, isn't it, Ms Murthy? That's why you want to make new impressions."

Nandini doesn't say anything but rather keeps on smiling at Manik. He continues,

"Hence this punctuality test. Am I right?"

This time Nandini speaks,

"Absolutely right and I am impressed. You passed the intelligence test too."

"Ha...ha...ha...hold on hold on, Ms Murthy. Otherwise, our coffee date will be spent like an exam only and that won't be any worthwhile."

Manik sounds amused. Nandini folds her hands against her chest and says,

"Okay, then let's make it worthwhile."

She saunters to an empty table and sits gesturing for Manik to occupy the other chair. Manik nods with a grin and takes the seat.

"Cappuccino, Latte or Cortado?"

Manik asks cordially. Nandini takes out a kerchief from her handbag and dabs her face carefully to soak the water droplets.

"Black. I prefer black coffee."

She mouths. Manik smirks which doesn't go unnoticed by Nandini. She raises her brow and asks with vaunt,

"Why? Girls can't drink black coffee?"

Manik beckons the waitress and orders a black coffee and a cappuccino for him along with some light snacks.

"No...no, Ms Murthy..."

He tries to clarify when Nandini intervenes,

"Nandini. You can call me Nandini."

"Thank you. Nandini, please don't judge me on my expression. Actually, I have never seen a beautiful girl like you having black coffee. You know, it doesn't suit their...what should I say...umm aura. Black coffee and all should be our drink. Black...bitter...strong...rough...tough and unromantic. See they perfectly go with boys' traits."