Chapter 8

"What are you doing out here all by yourself?" his voice asked from behind me

I turned around and saw him striding towards me.

"Getting some air," I told Josh.

"Mind if I join you?" he asked. I motioned for him to sit beside me.

It was quiet for a second. We listened to the muffled sound of the music behind us and I watched the ground as the colored lights from inside illuminated it.

"Where's your girlfriend?" I asked josh.

"She isn't my girlfriend," he said quickly, reflexively.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to assume," I told him.

"No," he insisted. "Don't apologize."

I looked over at him to find him looking directly at me. He slipped a hand into his back pocket and pulled out a joint and a lighter.

"You smoke," I observed.

"A little," he agreed nonchalantly. "You want one?" he asked as he offered me a cigarette. I shook my head quickly.

We sat in silence for a moment, before I couldn't hold myself back more.

"You know that shit kills you right?" I told him.

He watched me with an amused look on his face as I kept going without giving him a chance to answer. I looked back in front of us, but continued.

"Smoking nicotine is increasing your pulse and blood pressure. Your sense of smell is reduced. Because nicotine is a stimulant, your brain will release feel-good chemicals or make you want to eat. When you don't satisfy the urge, you will feel anxious and irritable. You will become addicted," I say all in one breath. It sounded like a health video that we would watch in middle school, but my aunt died of lung cancer when I was seven, so you could say that I very, very felt strongly. "Frankly smoking is stupid."

"Did you just call me stupid?" he asked with a smirk.

I looked back at him amused.

"Yes," I snapped back.

Then I had a chance to take in his appearance. The way that his muscles flexed as he leaned on his knees. The way that he held the joint between his ringed fingers. The way that his lips wrapped around the joint delicately. His jawline was so sharp it could cut glass. As I looked at him, I noticed that his right arm was covered in a sleeve of tattoos. How I had missed it before, I had no idea. The only place on the right arm that wasn't inked was his fingers, but on some of his fingers he wore rings, which glinted in the moonlight. His tanned skin looked amazing with the black ink. The only way that i could think he was stupid right now, was stupid hot. Everything about how he looked right now was hot, like almost make me regret yelling at him about smoking, because it made him look so good, hot. Almost.