Stand Tall

Thank you so much, @grapejuice101! This story would not have been completed without you. I am so excited for you lovely readers to read this!!!!

~~~

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,

nothing is going to get better. It's not.

— The Lorax

(Third Person POV)

The Orpheum. The boys waited impatiently as the memories of the past hung over them like a dark cloud. Unlike all those years ago, instead of Sunset Curve, the marquee read Panic! At The Disco and Downslide. But the boys were holding onto the slim chance that Julie, Lexi, and The Phantoms would be up there in the next few minutes. They were running out of time and options.

"Look, don't worry, guys. Willie said he's gonna get us on that marquee," Alex said.

"This is gonna work, right?" Reggie asked.

"It has to," Luke responded. Proving his point, a painful jolt ripped through each of the boys' bodies. They groaned and clutched their chests.

Just then, Willie flashed in and concern etched his features. "Hey, you guys okay?"

They gasped in pain and turned around. "Yeah," Alex replied. They moved closer to Willie, shaking off the pain. "Yeah, it's nothing we haven't felt before. How'd it go?"

"Well, when that opening band wakes up, they're gonna find their bus 200 miles outside of Vegas–" he turned around to show off his new Downslide jacket before flashing a smile to the boys "–with no chance of getting back in time."

They all giggled as Willie and Luke did a brotherly handshake. "And that means there's probably a promoter upstairs right about now freakin' out."

"Nah. This is Hollywood, man," Willie said. "I'm sure he's being very professional."

That was not the case. Upstairs, the promoter was banging his receiver against the machine out of frustration and desperation. Then he brought the phone to his ear and demanded, "What do you mean the bus drove itself into the middle of the desert? Buses don't drive themselves!" Once again the promoter started to hit the receiver against the machine, eventually breaking the stand.

Having an idea that his statement was a lie, Willie snickered. But the boys weren't in the greatest of spirits. Alex swallowed thickly and sent his friends a look before stepping forward. Getting the hint, Luke grabbed Reggie's arm and motioned for him to follow, giving the crushing pair their privacy.

Alex sighed, wanting to let his emotions out. "I know... how much you're risking." He could barely look Willie in the eye from nerves. "Thank you, Willie."

Willie smiled. "I told you, I'd do anything for you."

Alex nodded and went to step back, but a different feeling washed over him like a wave. Breathing heavily, he lunged forward and captured Willie in a tight embrace. Willie sighed and tightened his hold on Alex, burying his head in his shoulder. They clung to each other desperately, scared they would disappear from each other in that moment if they didn't.

Finally, Alex cleared his throat and begrudgingly peeled away from Willie, giving his shoulder one last pat. "All right. You, uh... You'd better get out of here before Caleb catches you with us."

"Yeah." Willie reached out and gave Alex's hands a reassuring squeeze. "Tell Lexi I'm sorry too. I'll see you around... hot dog." They chuckled at the hilarious nickname despite the looming sadness as Willie skated away.