Chapter 3: Mama

Lizzie's POV:

After a few days of waiting and then signing forms, I was finally approved to be a registered foster parent. I wasted no time in applying to be Avery's foster mom. The process was a little different since I had found Avery instead of her being assigned to me. A social worker, whose name I now know is Jenny, stopped by to check the house. She also asked Avery a few questions and talked to me, and before leaving told me I should contact authorities about the situation with Avery's biological parents. When Jenny bid her goodbyes and walked out, I shut the front door and turned around with a huge smile on my face.

I walked over to Avery who was currently eating strawberry-banana cheerios with a sippy cup of apple juice and watching Peppa Pig. She looked up at me as I slowly scooped her up. I held her in my arms kissing her head and swaying side to side.

"You're mine, baby girl. You get to stay with Lizzie forever," I say in a soft voice.

"Me and you forever?" she asks me. I giggle at the way she asked her question and nodded my head. "You and me forever, peanut."

She lets out a happy squeal and claps her hands. "Avey stay with Wizzie forever!" she yells. She wraps her tiny arms around my neck and lays her head on my shoulder. She starts lightly sucking on my collarbone as she plays with my hair.

"Hey baby, what if we go shopping today? Do you want to go out?" I needed to go to Target to get Avery some things. And it wouldn't hurt to get groceries while we're there.

Avery lifts her head up off my shoulder and looks at me. "Car?" she asks. "Yeah, do you want to take a ride to the store?" She contemplates for a little before nodding her head.

"Okay then peanut, let's go get ready," I say. We're already dressed because the social worker coming so all we have to do is get our coats and shoes on. I help Avery with hers and put mine on and soon we're out the door. I buckle Avery into the car seat that Scar let me borrow.

"Wizzie?" she asks as i'm finishing buckling her up.

"Yes, my love?"

"You my new mommy?" I don't know where this conversation is headed.

"Do you want me to be?"

She thinks about it and then nods. "Mhm. I wove you. I happy here," she says very matter-a-factly.

I smile at her. "Okay, then I can be your new mommy."

I wonder if this means she'll call me 'mommy' soon.

———

Avery is swinging her legs while sitting in the seat of the target shopping cart. I go straight to the baby isle. First, I grab a few baby bottles, a few sippy cups, and some pacifiers.

"Baba's!" she yells and points to the baby bottles. Her baby talk is the cutest thing. I grab the pacifiers since she likes sucking on my collarbone.

We walk and see some baby food and snacks so I grab some of those. Avery is 3, she can eat regular food, but mentally she is still a baby. She may struggle with food and this will substitute out if she doesn't want to eat. I grab some baby cheese puffs and some banana puff cereal. I grab some packs of baby food and protein shakes. I spot some Pediasure so I grab some of that too. Im new to this and I so should've called Scar to ask for help before coming here.

After getting the food, we move onto clothes and a car seat. I pick out some cute outfits and some pajamas. I also grab some hair clips and hair supplies. Socks and underwears. I also let Avery grab a backpack of her choosing for when she has to stay at Scar's or we have to travel. And for a car seat I had Scarlett send me a picture of the best one.