Chapter 8: Little family

Lizzie's POV:

I woke up at 9:00 to my phone ringing. My vision still blurry, I pick up my phone quickly as to not wake up Scarlett and head downstairs.

"Hello?" I answer with a yawn.

"Yeah. Is this Elizabeth Olsen, Avery Olsen's mom?"

"Yeah, this is she."

"Hi. I just wanted to talk about Avery real quick."

Why would she want to talk about Avery?

She takes my silence as a sign to continue.

"Nothing too bad, you've been doing good with her. It's just that before you found her she had bruises and was extremely malnourished and regressed. Most bruises have healed and she looks okay but she is still very malnourished for what she should be at her age."

My poor baby. I really thought we had progressed more than this. I bite my nails as I listen, honestly not knowing how to respond.

"I have a few recommendations to get her up to where she should be. Since she is mentally at a younger age and didn't get experiences with love or physical touch from mom, I suggest you take a few lactation pills that I could prescribe to breastfeed her. Of course if it's okay with you."

"Y- yeah. Anything to help my baby. If you could give me the name of the lactation pills, I'll write it down and get them when I can."

"Okay, perfect. I also recommend getting her to eat regularly, three meals a day and maybe a snack in between. With her diet try stirring her in the direction of fruits and vegetables for sure but anything is fine. Lots of water. That seems to be all. You're doing really good."

I sigh, happy knowing that that's all I have to worry about.

"Okay, thank you so much."

She gives me the name of the pills and I hang up the phone. That phone call was a very emotional start to my day. I cant believe I didn't know. Im her mom, I should've noticed. Tears slowly roll down my cheeks but soon stop. I get myself together and head back upstairs to check on all my girls.

———

After making sure everyone was still settled, I went back to my bed and cuddled up next to Scar. However, my mind was way more awake than I felt. My body was so tired but my mind had constant thoughts and fears. I wanted to close my eyes and drift off into a land of dreams and peace but my mind kept me occupied.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I felt Scar turn in an 'im uncomfortable' manner. I let her move and settle back down and then gently placed my hand atop of her stomach.

"Hey nugget. I hope life is much easier in there than it is out here. I think the only good things in my life are my three girls and you. Speaking of you, you better make this easy on your mom," I speak to the fetus in Scarlett's stomach.

I pause and sigh contently. And continue once again.

"You know, I love your mom. I love her so much. As a best friend of course but...," I trail off. I've never said that thought out loud. I am falling for my best friend.

Scarlett's POV:

I wake up to mumbling and a heavy feeling on my body. Without moving, I open my eyes to see Lizzie with her head just barely on my chest and her hand on my stomach. She's talking to little nugget.

"You know, I love your mom," I smile at that. "I love her so much. As a best friend of course but...," she trails off and then stops talking.

Why'd she stop?