Closer

Chapter 11

_______________________________

"Come back soon". Asma said to her elder son on a phone call.

"But why Ammi?". Ridhaan enquired.

"Your in laws are coming over. Your brother in law, Tufail is moving to states so I and Alishba thought of inviting them for lunch". Asma said.

Ridhaan was glad that both his mother and his wife got along with each other pretty well. Asma always wanted a daughter in the form of his wife and he was esctatic to have found one keeping aside his relationship with Alishba.

"Okay! I will be there". Ridhaan said hanging up.

But Asma was astonished to hear something like that from Ridhaan because usually his answers were a big no whenever she asks him to come over. And she knew that it was because of Alishba that her son is changing.

"Alhamdulillah". She exclaimed happily.

"Ammi!*. Alishba called suddenly.

"Yes beta". Asma answered her lovingly.

"Does Ridhaan like matar pulao ?". Alishba asked while her head was hung low.

"Why don't you ask him yourself?". Asma said.

"I... I... I mean........". Alishba stuttered unable to form right words.

"Alishba, do you know my son is changing for you?". Asma said which made Alishba look into her eyes.

"Change ?". Alishba asked clueless.

"Yes. When I called him to come over for lunch because your family is coming, he agreed to it right away without me having to push him. If he is changing for you, you can atleast try, right?". Asma asked hopefully. "Look, marriage is a sacred bond and it needs to be cherished by both husband and wife. It can't be one sided my child because it's a two way ride all along". Asma finished.

"I will try to change for him, Ammi". Alishba said.

"Tell me honestly, did he ever try to misbehave with you?". Asma asked.

"No! never". Came Alishba's quick reply.

"Did he ever ill treated you?".

"No!".

"Isn't he a good man?".

"He is a good man". Alishba admitted while a smile adored on her lips thinking of her husband for the first time in this one month of them being together as husband and wife.

She thought, Ridhaan is indeed a good man considering his politeness towards her whenever they had a talk. Sometimes it was hard for her to believe that he could be so good to her after whatever happened.

"Then what is stopping you from giving a chance to this marriage? I can clearly see that he is trying. I will be happy if you try too otherwise this marriage will be nothing but a compromise". Asma said getting up from the couch she was sitting on. She left Alishba alone giving her time to clear her messed up mind.

Alishba thought that Ridhaan never tried talking to her about he wants to try to work on this marriage but sudden realisation hit her that may be because of her, he didn't due to her constant avoidance. But she never expected anything from him or this marriage given the situation of how they got married unwillingly. He even once taunted her for betraying him and his family. She couldn't understand what suddenly changed between them that he is changing for her.

This realisation overwhelmed every bit of cell in her body.

If he wants to try, then it should be mutual.

She decided to talk to him once he is home.

❤️

Ridhaan entered his bedroom to change into casuals as his in laws are coming over but he couldn't step forward as he got freezed at the sight in front of him.

Alishba was drying her wet hair with a towel making his heartbeat race. He has lost count on how his heart races just by a mere glimpse of his wife. Nothing made him so nervous that he is right now.

It was also the first time he saw her without her hijab on. Her long wavy hair fell freely making him wants to touch them for it belonged to him, she belonged to him.

He didn't understand if he should enter inside because it will make her uncomfortable. So he decided to go out of their bedroom and knock again before entering.

"You can come in". He heard her say after he knocked.

Ridhaan got inside but to freeze yet once again. She stood there without her hijab on. Something she never did before. He thought may be she forgot to put it on. Or may be she misunderstood him to be his mother. But he let that go trying to be normal with her.

"I.... I .... I mean... ". Alishba stuttered making him smile. He thought it's not only him who is nervous.

"Say". He demanded.

"I mean... You didn't have to come leaving all the important works at your office". She said.

"It's okay". He said while he was about to go to restroom but was cut off by her.

"I.... I.... I mean.... I want to talk to you". She admitted.

Ridhaan was shocked to hear something like that from her other than "The dinner is ready" or "your office attire is ready" or "can I get you a cup of tea".

But now she wants to talk to him?

How did this miracle happen ?

"I'm listening". He said making her even more nervous.

"Hmmmm.. nothing". She said while leaving their bedroom but Ridhaan was quick to hold her hand stopping her from escaping this conversation.

It was the first time she initiated the conversation so he wanted to know what exactly was in her heart.

"Please tell me". He requested her turning her entire frame so that he can have her proper view.

She closed her eyes on getting contact with his touch for the first time. "Ammi said". She began but stopped to take a deep breathe before continuing. "Ammi said you wants to work on this marriage". She finished making him smile.

"What do you want ?". He asked pulling her closer to him. Her forehead getting hit by his hard chest.

"I ... I...".

"Yes Alishba". He encouraged her.

"I don't know".

"But I know that i want to work on this marriage. I want both of us to not give up on this marriage". He said making her smile. He continued, "and this innocent smile of yours just takes my breathe away. Alishba! I'm drawing closer to you day by day".

She hid her face trying to hide her shyness but instead he made her look into his eyes. They stood there staring at each other for what they felt like eternity. He pecked her forehead and pulled her in for a hug. She couldn't believe when she found herself wrapped in his embrace.

❤️