Betrayal

Chapter 12
_

___________________________

"Why don't you come visit us this Sunday ?". Amir said sipping his evening tea as they were gathered at Zaveri mansion for a little farewell organised for Tufail who is leaving for states this weekend.

"In shaa Allah". Ridhaan said sipping his hot chocolate. They were sitting in the lawn of the mansion taking in all the greenery while the females preferred sitting inside to have their evening snacks.

"Tufail bhaiya, can you please borrow me some books from the Oxford University?". Rishan said hopefully.

"Sure champ". Tufail said stroking the little one's hair.

Meanwhile, Alishba stepped in the lawn making Ridhaan nervous. The most shocking for him is he couldn't understand why he gets nervous around her. In his life, he has handled so many tough, arrogant, blunt kind of people but his aura around her changes the second she steps in. And he kind of liked it and he couldn't understand why ?

"Alishba bete. I was suggesting Ridhaan to come visit us this Sunday. Tag along with him". Amir said making both of them uncomfortable relishing their earlier moment in their bedroom.

"I... In shaa Allah". Alishba said keeping the nuggets on the table.

"Alishba, why don't you show me around? I'm sure Ammi and Rihana have already seen the entire mansion". Tufail said.

"Yes sure". Alishba said moving forward.

"Excuse me!". Tufail said tailing behind Alishba.

For some unknown reasons unknown to him, Ridhaan didn't like the frankness between his wife and her cousin. He wanted to go behind them but it would interpret as if he is obsessed. So instead he got engrossed with Amir talking about their upcoming projects at office.

After Alishba showed Tufail the entire mansion, the only place remaining was the  garden. So while she guided him the way, he stopped her. "I want to talk to you about something".

"Yes. What is it ?". Alishba asked him raising her eyebrows. By the look on his face, she was sure that he was serious about something.

"I know whatever I'm going to say doesn't matter anymore. But I want to free myself from the burden I'm carrying since I laid my eyes on you". He said making her numb. "Before leaving, I just want to clear my mind before starting afresh for that I need to put everything behind. I need to put you behind". He said while she couldn't understand his words.

"I don't understand".

"Why do you think I told you to not call me Bhai ?".

"I couldn't understand it till date". Alishba said making him smile.

"Because i have always loved you Alishba. The first time I saw you was at the hospital when you were five and i was 9. You were afraid because of the accident which took away your parents. You were hiding behind Abba. He slowly pulled you front so that he can introduce us. Trust me on this, but I had been admiring you all these years". Tufail opened his old wounds as well as her fresh ones.

She couldn't believe if her ears are functioning properly to hear something like this from her cousin who she never understood what to call since his insistence on not calling him Bhai ever. Everything made sence now as he used to always cajole her whenever Rima bad mouthed her.

"I'm sorry but I had to say it. Well wish you all the very best, Alishba for your new life ahead. I'm sure Ridhaan is a very sensible man. I'm sure you will be happy with him". Tufail said hiding his pain behind a smile.

Alishba stared at his eyes. She couldn't believe if he is the same Tufail she had been living under same roof with, all these years. For the first time in years. She examined his dull face. He don't look fine like he used to be. He used to always make her laugh and always used to check on her if she is doing fine.

"I... don't..... know.... what to say". Alishba stuttered.

"Tell me whatever you want to say".

"I... I... Would have considered your feelings if you had spoken to Chacha ji about it". Alishba said. She has always found a friend in him which she never had. Of course, Rihana was always there for her but he could read her like no other. And she won't refuse it that she too had got attached to him. But she never called it love for she was confused.

Tufail smiled on her confession, "That's the mistake I did and I will regret all my life". He took his steps back capturing her face for the last time. "Tell Ammi that I left already". Saying he vanished from her sight. He didn't wanted her to see his vulnerable side. Wiping a lone tear, he made his way away from her.

Alishba touched her cheeks when a tear just escaped her eyes making her hiss in pain. She heaved a heavy sigh because nothing can be done now for her fate is intertwined with somebody else who she has no idea about.

"Baaji, you're here? All are waiting for you in the living area. Jiju too came searching for you but I think he couldn't find you". Rihana said breathing heavily.

"I was just.. Nothing! Let's go". Alishba said making their way out of the garden.

But little did she know, the admiration of her cousin towards her is heard and witnessed by her husband who fisted his wrist out of irritation breaking a vase in the process which broke into a million pieces.

"Yet another betrayal ?". Ridhaan muttered under his heavy breathe. "And that's why she used to always avoid me because she had feelings for her cousin ?".

And just like that vase, his heart broke into a million pieces too which can never be in its original shape again.

***