Abandoned

Chapter 17

__________________________

"Ammi! Bring me my breakfast". Ridhaan asked his mother who is preparing breakfast in the kitchen with her daughter-in-law.

"Just 5 minutes". Asma said. "Go give him his breakfast before he goes empty stomach". She told Alishba who was glued on her place.

"He was asking you to give him the breakfast". Alishba tried to reason.

"Does it even matter ? Go beta". Asma pursuaded her daughter-in-law.

Taking the tray of her husband's breakfast, Alishba stepped out of the kitchen with no option left. She didn't wanted to worry Asma unnecessarily telling about the situation they both are facing.

On her arrival, Ridhaan gave a small smile but to get ignored in the end.

"Alishba... I'm.....". Before he could say anything, Alishba was out of his sight in a lightening speed.

He closed his eyes to see her pale face. He knew, she didn't had a proper sleep last night and he is being the reason. He didn't know how to cajole her since he hasn't convinced anyone in his entire life.

After having his breakfast in silence, Ridhaan got up to go to office, "Ammi! I'm leaving. Assalamualaikum".

"Walaikumassalam beta!". Asma greeted him back from the kitchen.

He couldn't concentrate on anything since his arrival at office. It's been 2 hours already and what he can think of is only her.

Taking a break from files and meetings, Ridhaan sat outside his office on a bench. His office staff were shocked to see their boss like this and that too uninterested in his work. He has been always punctual and strict towards his work but today he is acting different and his staff couldn't understand why.

"Sir!". Aseem made his presence.

Ridhaan lifted his face up to see him and then lowered his gaze.

"Actually your wife forgot this yesterday". Aseem said handing over him a kerchief.

Ridhaan looked at the kerchief and then frowned, "Where did you find it ?".

"I actually happened to see it in parking lot when you had just arrived at the party yesterday. I returned it to her in the party but she dropped it again". Aseem said nonchalantly.

Ridhaan studied his words clearly. "And that's what you were talking to her about ?".

"Talking ? Yes probably. She was glad that she found it since her mother gave it to her. And when I saw it again under the table when you had left already. I took it home to return it to you today since it was very important to her. I hope you don't mind". Aseem finished.

Ridhaan took the kerchief from Aseem. "Thats alright and thank you".

"Not a problem, Sir". Aseem said leaving Ridhaan alone to deal with his guilt.

A sudden rainfall drenched him completely but he was unmindful. His staff and secretary warned him that he may get sick but nothing convinced him. Only her tears and helplessness flashes in front of his eyes.

Looking towards sky as if complaining to Allah about his stupidity, he says,

"She doesn't deserve this. She doesn't deserve me".

***

Ridhaan's POV:

Back home from office, I dont find Alishba opening the door for me as she always does instead it's opened by one of our workers .

It hurts like hell to be ignored by her. But this is exactly what I had been doing to her since a few weeks. She must have felt the same, I'm feeling right now.

Hurted, pained and abandoned.

I'm sure that Allah is punishing me for my wrong doings.

Two more steps inside the home and i find her not waiting for me at the dinner table either. But I'm relived on the arranged food at the table.

She still cares for me or is she only fulfilling her duties as a wife ?

Once I go to our bedroom, I thought, I wouldn't see her there considering how angry she is but thankfully she was sleeping on bed peacefully.

I locked the door making Alishba flinch at the sudden noise but she decided to pretend to be sleeping. Taking my night suits from the wardrobe, I went to the restroom.

I sat on my couch after freshening up. I faced her back.

I kept the kerchief given by Aseem on her bed side table. As much as I wanted to solve every misunderstandings between us, I also knew it's not the right time.

She won't listen to whatever I had to say or confess.

I waited for the right time.

And I believed the right time will come soon.

***