Self-Control

** TW: The following chapter contains descriptions of physical assault/abuse, violence; sexual coercion. DO NOT READ if you are not prepared to encounter such content. **

"Another glass?"

Beneath the table, my fingers fiddled anxiously on my lap. But my face remained perfectly calm: a tranquil, relaxed expression.

"Alright."

I watched him closely as he reached into his inner pocket and pulled out his wand. An effortless flick of the wrist and the bottle lifted off the table and into the air, the dark red liquid streaming down and into my glass until it was just a third full. Another twirl of the wand and the bottle floated back through the air, coming to land gently on the table.

It'd been three days since I'd last seen Tom. Apparently that was enough time for him to work through his murderous rage over my having slapped him. Or perhaps he'd spent the time letting it build and roil within him as he concocted a creatively cruel means of seeking his revenge.

As for me, I'd spent my time flitting between my room and the library, as Tom continued to permit me to work under Rashaad's supervision. Together, we'd used the time to our every possible advantage, and I'd begun practising my Occlumency skills in earnest. According to Rashaad, I was picking up the basic concepts with impressive speed. Heartening news, given the absolute precariousness of my situation. Though perhaps it made sense I was a natural, given the revelation that I'd apparently managed to craft such an impenetrable unconscious block against Tom.

I'd read the book Rashaad had given me, cover to cover, over and over again. As of yesterday, we'd switched it out for a more advanced version. I'd continue this way, absorbing all the information I possibly could, in the hopes that I'd have a failsafe in the event Tom was able to break through the mental barriers I'd constructed.

The hours I spent together with Rashaad were not only instructive; they provided me a desperately needed morale boost. The discovery of his true identity and intentions were a gift to me. To know I had help, a Ministry spy who'd infiltrated Tom's inner circle - that meant no more hopelessness, and a renewed will to keep fighting. 

And so, on my end it'd been three days of rallying and skill-building. But now, as I'd known was inevitable, Tom and I were alone together again. And I was nervous. The stakes, always unimaginably high, had now risen into the stratosphere.

I brought one hand up from beneath the table, accepting the glass and nodding at him, "Thank you."

As I brought the glass up to my lips, I was acutely aware of how carefully he was watching me. He was in predatory mode, though I didn't know if his objective tonight would be to stalk or to hunt me. Perhaps both.

I took a small sip and set the glass back down before me, my eyes reluctantly finding their way to his.

He leaned back ever so slightly in his chair, "Progress?"

With the research, he meant, naturally. Rashaad and I had been very careful to keep progressing on that front so as not to arouse any suspicions from Tom. Though I'd be lying if I said it wasn't unbearably frustrating to put our Occlumency practice to the side and spend time on something Tom wanted, something so directly contrary to our goals.

"A bit."

"Tell me."

"Believe it or not, there are better sources from antiquity than..."

He cut me off, raising his hand impatiently, "I don't want a history lesson. Distil it, quickly."

I huffed, my eyes narrowing at him, "I need to keep my mind sharp, though that's a given. That means at the very least you should let me roam more freely."