Dinner

As Ra and I slipped out my room and down the hall together, I sent him a new thought:

... Is the sword safe?

Eyes fixed forward, he gave my hand a light squeeze and nodded ever so slightly.

Well, that's a bit of relief, to know that at the very least we'd gotten away with that. But I barely cared about the sword, even though I knew it was critically important. Instead, I was far more concerned with Ra's safety. An intense wave of guilt rippled through me and I came to a sudden stop.

It's all my fault - everything. I'll never forgive myself. I've put you in terrible danger simply because I couldn't resist ...

He shook his head at this, quite adamantly, and I felt a wave of serenity wash over me. He was influencing my emotions, expressing his own feelings on the matter - his way of telling me he was totally at peace with things.

You can't mean it.

His lips formed a firm, uncompromising line. I hesitated, my grip on his hand tightening. Together, we began walking again. But a few paces later, I hesitated again. I couldn't help myself - I had to ask:

I need you to promise me something, right now -

This time it was he who slowed, and out of the corner of my eye I saw him raise an eyebrow. My thumb daring to lightly stroke his palm, I sent the thought along:

If you get an opportunity to escape tonight, you must take it. You must leave. Leave me behind.

He stopped abruptly at this, his head whipping in my direction. The two of us stared at one another, my face fixed in an expression of pleading; his one of sharp disagreement.

Please. I'm imploring you.

He shook his head, and I pursed my lips. I tried again:

Please -

Another shake of the head. I was completely begging him now -

He won't kill me. At least not yet. I'm quite certain. Whereas you ...

I stopped the thought short. It was too ugly to continue, even if it was completely obvious to both of us: "you're a dead man."

... You know I'm right.

Ra's eyes narrowed at me as I stared back at him determinedly. And I sent another thought, loud as I could:

It's not abandonment, it's preservation. If anything happens to you tonight, I won't be able to go on. But if I know you're safe ...

He flashed me a pained look and squeezed my hand, the two of us began continuing along again, albeit slowly.

... If I know you're safe, I can keep fighting. Escape tonight, so that we can continue to fight tomorrow.

A wave of incredible sorrow and guilt washed over me now. I shook my head to tell him not to feel that - to dispel the thought. And I transmitted back to him once more,

I need that promise, Ra. Please - please -

I tilted my head towards him pointedly and waited for his confirmation. But at that exact moment, we rounded a corner and came face to face with Bellatrix. 

Ah, shit.

Time's up. End of the line. And I hadn't gotten a clear answer from him.

Bellatrix, forever the she-demon, smiled at us threateningly, "My, my," she murmured, "Aren't the two of you together just a sight to behold?"