𝙸𝚜 𝙸𝚝 𝙷𝚘𝚝 𝙸𝚗 𝙷𝚎𝚛𝚎?

KOKICHI OUMA

My face was red, my eyebrows were hunched up, sweat was trickling down my spine and spooling my hands. My face created wrinkles, that'd of never existed before. This tense emotion I felt when I was with him curled around me like vines. What has gotten into me? It was just one day in this cashier position since Kaede wasn't here today to be on time for some appointment. Yet, here I was, acting like a total clutz in front of everyone. It was embarrassing to say the least, but I couldn't fixate myself.

Get yourself together Kokichi... I tried to relax myself under all of the pressure I was in but to no avail.

I clenched my hands, trying not to allow Shuichi to see through me and the nervous state I was holding. But it seemed he was holding the same exact emotion as me. There was silent noise in the corridor of where we stood, and all I'd realized was that I was stuck in this position for as long as it lasted. My job wasn't to check out neighbored items, it was to endure this awkward state I sat in. I hate to say it, but we were acting like kindergarteners blushing as they were holding hands in a line. Don't get me wrong, I am a very immature person, however, this situation was releasing my inner me. It was so embarrassing...

He wasn't looking at me, nor was I looking at him, but we could see each other through our souls. And we both knew the current state we were put in, but needn't say a word. After the events prior to today, neither of us could conduct a sentence to the other. My heart hiccuped as I tried to look for something to hold onto. Nobody seemed to be so cavalier in the sitch and I could explain why.

The silence broke when a hoary old male; almost bald, approached my cash register. I knew what I had to do, even if my hands couldn't right now. Finally, a huge pot of breath I didn't even realize I was holding, escaped my mouth.

"Oh- hi umm...," I sputtered, trying to find the words to speak after choosing not to for a while.

The elder stared at me, slowly and cautiously placing the objects he was planning to purchase onto the counter. A can of beans in which was chosen by him began to roll off of the counter to my side. Despite my lousy attempts to refuse the can from falling, they failed anyway, hitting the floor with a loud thump.

Lucky enough for me, nothing spilled, but I went to pick it up anyway only to be met with another hand. Me and Shuichi's hands brushed against each other as we both attempted to pick up the can. On instinct, we both pushed our hand away at the same time, making the situation awkward. I felt my face heat up as I began to apologize nervously, looking but only at the ground as I picked the can up. I touched around my face, trying to look for something to feel.

Don't touch your hair, it just shows how nervous you are! I thought to myself.

In an instant, I touched my hair, stroking it slowly. I let it coil around my index finger, and slide between my hand. I just had to play with something. Somehow, this helped ease my nerves and I continued with my job.

The old man just continued to stare at us, rather confused as I would be too if I was in his shoes. I gave the older man the can and checked out the rest of his items.

The day continued to go by fast, with me and Shuichi proceeding to act very chaotic with each other. I hated every awkward interaction I had with him and just wanted to end my shift and go home fast. Soon enough, Shuichi had to go for his shift had ended. I felt myself admit a sigh of relief as I wiped at my forehead slowly.

Kaito came up to the front counter, taking Shuichis place and I felt a groan escape from my mouth in annoyance. Something, in me, kicked the thought of wanting Shuichi back. Kaito was better than whatever that was a few minutes ago, but he was worse than caramel dipped in salad verte.