𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝘀𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲.

【𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 】

︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶

well, they didn't make it to the ship. 

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked. Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Annabeth cursed under her breath. Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

The ship was only fifty feet away, but Katherine saw no sign of Coach Hedge on deck. Jason's group wasn't due back until sunset, and Percy would be underwater, unaware of the invasion.

They were running out of time. The eagles circled overhead, crying out. "Well?" Octavian demanded. His two friends brandished their swords. Katherine's was about to use her powers when Annabeth come up with an idea.

Very slowly, using only two fingers, Annabeth drew her dagger. Instead of dropping it, she tossed it as far as she could into the water. Octavian made a squeaking sound. "What was that for? I didn't say toss it! That could've been evidence. Or spoils of war!"

Annabeth tried for a dumb-blonde smile, like: Oh, silly me. Nobody who knew her would have been fooled. But Octavian seemed to buy it. He huffed in exasperation. "You other three..." He pointed his blade at Hazel, Katherine and Piper. "Put your weapons on the dock. No funny bus—"

All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like a Las Vegas fountain putting on a show. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. Percy stood on the dock, holding Annabeth's dagger.

"You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced. Annabeth threw her arms around him. "I love you!"

"Guys," Hazel interrupted. Though, she had a little smile on her face. "We need to hurry."

Down in the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!"

"Tempting," Percy called down. "What?" Octavian shouted. He was holding on to one of his guards, who was having trouble keeping them both afloat.