Deceive

Summary: Draco's heart broke the day he learned Harry was dating Ginny Weasley, and his world fell apart.

_____________

(Rating: T)

_____________

It was raining when Draco saw the news. The raindrops were rattling against the window and Draco felt shivers running down his spine even when all the doors were closed. It was dark in the room except for the small lamp next to him. He couldn't be bothered to do anything else.

The phone rang, again, it must have been the third time in the last five minutes. Draco took a drag from his cigarette, scowling at the flavour. He didn't like it, but the taste was numbing his senses, and that was all he wished to do tonight, to not feel anything at all.

Draco looked up at the dark ceiling, exhaling softly. He didn't even care that he was lying on the carpet of his bedroom, it felt better than any other places right now. The phone rang once more, and this time, Draco decided to pick it up.

"Hello?"

"Draco, why didn't you answer my calls?" Pansy's voice was filled with concerns through the phone, and Draco knew why she was calling. When he stayed quiet, she continued, "Are you okay?" Her voice was gentle, like a mother somehow, as if she was afraid Draco would break any moment now.

Draco turned his head and glanced at the Daily Prophet on the carpet next to him, with its latest headline printed boldly on the front page.

Harry Potter And Ginny Weasley Are Dating

His heart throbbed at the title and he shuddered a sharp breath. "Yeah, I'm okay, Pans," he said, his voice seemed weak, and Pansy picked his tone up too.

"Do you need me to come over? I can," Pansy said, her breathing steady through the line. Draco shook his head, taking another drag of his cigarette and exhaling the smoke out.

"No, you don't have to," he said, a half smile on his face. He must look pathetic right now. Getting gloomy over something like this, he was the worst. "I can deal with it myself. And, it isn't like I've never seen it coming. They have always been a thing. I think...I think they look good together."

"No, you don't."

Draco huffed out a dry laugh, amused by how much Pansy understood him. "No, I don't." He placed the cigarette down on the ashtray and breathed a sombre sigh. "What can I do? I thought...I thought watching him from afar alone would do," he said, his voice broke when he tried to form the right word, "It doesn't, it never really did."

"Honey," Pansy cooed, her voice soothing to him, it helped him, just a little bit. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry? I'm the pathetic loser that fell for the world's saviour, I should feel sorry for myself." Draco laughed, bitterly. He clutched at his shirt that was covering the scars on his chest and felt tears rolling down his cheeks. He was crying now, that was even more horrible, to shed a tear for someone like Potter, because he'd never get him anyway. "I guess this is the punishment I get for being on the wrong side."

"Draco, don't be silly," Pansy said, and he could practically see the glare she was giving him if she was here. "Maybe the news is fake, no one believes the Daily Prophet anymore."

"The picture of the two of them in Diagon Alley doesn't seem fake to me, Pansy," Draco said, a sigh escaping his throat, "It's all right. You don't have to comfort me, I should have expected this. Besides, even if they aren't together, what are the chances that Potter will ever have romantic feelings for me?" He chuckled, imagining a scenario where Potter confessed to him. It was utterly ridiculous. "I'm a Death Eater, I barely escaped my death sentence in Azkaban-"