Chapter 6

Jennie had barely slept when her eyes opened to soft sounds of birds chirping outside.
With a small yawn and a stretch, she got out of bed and went towards the window, only to stare outside in awe.

The air smelled of clean, wet mud and mildly fragrant flowers. Inhaling deeply, she went exploring. She took a different route to walk. She stuck to narrow paths where a horse wouldn't be able to run easily.

Suddenly, a thought flew into her mind. What if the rude, arrogant prince went on early morning walks? She had seen him working out in a gym the previous morning.

Her walk was pleasant. While she returned, she saw that workers had started their work in the gardens. She watched them for a few minutes before approaching an old gardener.

"May I help you with the planting?" she asked, looking at wheelbarrows filled with beautiful, vivid-colored seasonal flowering plants.

The old man stared in surprise and then at her enthusiastic face before slowly nodding. "Sure. But have you planted before?" he asked.

She smiled. "Yes, a very long time ago when I was a child. But if you instruct me once, I can do it."

The old man didn't mind her help. While she worked along with him, he told her that each season they replaced the colorful annuals in the pathway and that there were close to a hundred gardeners working around the estate. He didn't know who she was and didn't seem to care either.

 She dug up holes and planted the flowering bushes along the pathway. But the flowering bushes stopped abruptly at a point. There was a huge barren patch on one side of the mansion. Only a tall, leafless, almost dying tree stood at the center.

With an excited smile, she went back to the planting area and filled the wheelbarrow with more vivid-colored seasonal plants and brought them to the tree. The next few hours she spent planting near the barren tree. When she was done, she stood up and stared at her handiwork with a smile.

Dusting her hands, she returned the wheelbarrow.

"Thank you for letting me help." She smiled at the old man who watched her curiously.

Taking a promise from him about letting her help once again sometime, she headed back to the mansion. She came across Jang mi in the corridor outside her suite.

"Looks like your walks are always adventurous," Jang mi remarked, seeing her dirty hands and dress.

Jennie laughed. "Yes. I enjoy gardening. So, I tried to help out a little."

The older woman smiled. "Your blue dress from yesterday is placed inside the closet. All the mud stains are gone."

Thanking the older woman, Jennie hurried inside the suite.

A cool shower relaxed her.

Despite the beautiful, luxurious suite, she couldn't spend time being stuck inside. She wanted to do something. She wanted to explore the mansion, especially the library.

When Jang mi came into her room to clear the lunch, Jennie asked her about the library.

"It's on the ground floor east wing."

Jennie was grateful that it wasn't on the top floor. "Where is... Mr. Kim?"

"In his suite."

"Is he going out today?"

Surprise crossed Jang mi's face. "Sir hasn't gone outside the estate in the last three years."

Jennie was taken aback. Three years?

The beast was a recluse. She wondered why. Even though curiosity hit her hard, she tried not to think about him. It was none of her business.

She contemplated for a few more minutes before deciding to go to the library.