Chapter 10 - Part 2

The last day of her stay finally arrived. But Jennie had mixed feelings.

"I'm going to miss this," she said softly, looking at the view outside her window.

She let out a sigh, drinking in the sight for longer than usual, so she could cherish it when she went back to her real life. "Someday, after I become a doctor, and when I have a daughter or a son, I'll visit this place once again with them." She made that promise to herself even though the chances of her ever being invited to this place were slim.

After breakfast, she spent time gardening one last time. She thanked the gardeners, especially the old gardener who had patiently taught her things and answered her questions.

 And then, just before she went to her suite to pack, she went to the library to return the book she had borrowed.

That's where she came across the beast. He was taking out a few books from the same section she had returned the book she borrowed.

She had seen him on and off at the library and around the estate while riding over the last week. She hadn't bothered to greet him then, and he ignored her as usual.

But right then, she wanted to put aside her judgments about him and thank him for the stay.

"Hi," she greeted.

He ignored her.

"I'm leaving tomorrow," she said. "I know it didn't work out between us, but I wish you the best of luck in finding someone special soon."

He continued ignoring her.

"Thank you for... your... hospitality. You have a beautiful place and wonderful people working for you."

He still didn't say anything, nor did he show any reaction on his face that was facing her. He treated her as though she were invisible and didn't exist for him.

Something snapped inside her yet again. She no longer had to impress him or stay out of trouble for Krystal's sake. So, all the frustrated fury that she had kept inside over the three weeks began to bubble over.

"What's your damn problem?" she demanded.

She saw his hands pause while pulling out a book.

"I'm trying to be polite here because I'm leaving tomorrow. But you don't even have the basic courtesy to respond! No matter the circumstances, I'm your guest here!"

She glared at the scarred side of his profile. "Yes. My father is after your title, but I already told you I'm not! Then what's your damn problem? Was it because I asked you about your burn scars? I already tried to apologize to you so many times! Why do you still have to be so damn touchy about it? And besides, they are just some outward scars regardless of which you still look handsome. I've seen small children with fourth-degree burns who are grateful and happy to be alive. Do you have any idea what real-world troubles are like? How so many people struggle for their basic necessities and survival? You live in a damn mansion and have access to indecent amounts of money. Instead of being so angry and bitter about your stupid scars, why don't you go out and see how wonderful the world can still be!"

By the time she was done talking, she was breathing heavily and panting.

Slowly, the beast turned towards her. His dark, intense eyes met with her furious, glaring ones. He watched her quietly but still didn't say anything, making her even more furious rather than nervous.

"And you know what?" she continued. "I can't wait to leave Gyeongbokgung tomorrow. Just so I can tell my father and friends that I rejected you because no amount of money, titles or mansions or any other material things can ever compensate for having to spend even a minute of my life with a rude, arrogant and entitled beast like you!" With that, she strode out of the library angrily.